Discuss Chasing? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

Noob2013

Hi all

I know most people will say "chase it out by hand the old fashioned way" ☺

But, what is the quickest and easiest way to chase out socket boxes?

Wall chaser? Mini angle Grinder?

My back is pretty knackered so Hammer and Chisel is a killer!

Cheers

Honestly, hammer and chisel for me. Neatest and quickest way for me to take out a socket box in brick. Never heard or experienced anything good about any box sinking kit.

If I can get away with a sdsplus chisel in an empty building then I might use that sometimes for chases too. Not for socket boxes though, too clumsy and can easily shatter brick or make too much mess.
In an occupied and furnished domestic setting then just hand tools. Far too dusty otherwise.

Armeg EBS Back-Box & Wall Chasing Installation Kit ... - screwflix..com
screwflix..com - Power Tools, Electrical, Plumbing Supplies & more › ... › Electrical Box Sinkers
Single and double box cutting kit with unique, Tri-Cut design. For quicker, smoother results and reduced vibration in hard masonry materials. Includes chisels ...

not brilliant on rock hard walls though

Attachments

• Chasing? image - EletriciansForums.net
    image.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 236
Mark the outline of the box/chase on the wall where its going.
Wrap some tape around a drill bit at the depth required eg 25mm.
Drill on the outline you've marked out all the way round then drill inside the outline in vertical lines about 25mm apart.
You'll find it easier to chop out and it should be near enough the right depth.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not me being a -----, I have a bad problem which is not work related.

I used to use a scutch chisel and hammer which is pretty good.

Also heard the box sinking kits are only good for thermalite blocks.

The stitch drill method sounds like another good option.

I know ur not a ----- mate, just a bit of sarcasm.
When I started my apprenticeship that's what I had to use, it was a nightmare.

[video]Moorcut Direct Ltd - Quadcut Square Hole Cutter/Fitting An Electrical Back Box In 1 Min 30 Secs | Learn how to quickly earn money online through affiliates and more! - Howtomoneyguide.com ▶▶ hostmaster.howtomoneyguide.com/.../Moorcut-Direct-... Bi Metal Hole Saw Kit - Drilling through metal & wood · Diamond ... Fitting an electrical back ...[/video]

Mark the outline of the box/chase on the wall where its going.
Wrap some tape around a drill bit at the depth required eg 25mm.
Drill on the outline you've marked out all the way round then drill inside the outline in vertical lines about 25mm apart.
You'll find it easier to chop out and it should be near enough the right depth.

You can even get templates for this method, but by the time you have messed about drilling, you could have had three knocked out freehand.

roll of tape, sds drill with scutch/cold chisel bit.

to make it neater cut edges with grinder then in middle in criss cross pattern (works best on standard house bricks in a conservatory)

if dust would cause problems, i stitch drill with a 7mm or 8mm sds, then chip out with scutch. if it's really hard brick, then i use a sds scutch on a 110V makita.. makes mincemeat out of engineering brick. have on a couple of occasions gone right through the wall, so 2 x 47mm boxes back to back. customer gets an extra socket for free.

Reply to Chasing? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock