Discuss Cheap EICR prices in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi
I wanted some feedback from you guys and some advice and opinions. I am starting to get a lot of domestic EICR requests but when I send a quote I never hear back from them. I am quoting around £350 for a 3-4 bedroom house. Most don't have not had prior PIRs so I recommend a 50 - 100% on inspection and 30 - 50% on testing depending on the inspection results. This takes me around a day to finish plus an hour or two for finishing the report. I use Certifi on my iPad so that speeds things up a little. My local NICEIC rep said that some sparkies are charging around £125 for an EICR!!! How could they possible do it for that price and make a profit.......or am I being a little gullible and missing something here. To do it for that price, they must be missing a lot out but my question is what are they missing out and if so are they missing it out legally.....I'm guessing they must be working in a grey area so I would appreciate if someone could enlighten me ?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Hey I've started doing some lately and I charge for a 3 bed around £140-£160.. People are doing it a lot less one lady asked me to price so I did £120 as its a small place her reply was I've seen online people do it for £70! Get on with it then was my reply. £350 is a little steep

Yeah £350 is way out. How long are you taking to carry out the inspection and test on site ?

EDIT: Just seen that's for a day plus writing up. Is that your normal day rate ?

Last edited:
Also it's not about missing things out or cutting corners its a job in where you'll never make a killing with testing domestic properties it's just an easy day and ok money. You'll be better off to try get two done in a day but go in at a rate of 140 each then it's ok. I know a lad who works for phs doing condition reports in schools and hospitals he say he makes a killing as so many circuits and they charge per circuit where I just do a day rate or slightly under

Agree with the posts above,
I just do hourly rate, normally refuse to price as its a unknown amount of time to do it properly.
You will find that they are doing hardly anything - I.e using the extent box to test one circuit.
Or doing visual only.
Cowboys is my opinion!
Then again how will the customer know any different???

£120/150
Some flats/houses only have socket/light/cooker circuits so don't take that long compared to a property with 10 circuits. I don't tend to go quote as the time it takes to quote that even an extra hour that I under charged Ect Anyways pays for that non quoting time

Last edited by a moderator:
To do a 3-4 bed house properly with 10+ circuits is around 1 full day........ Unless you are cutting corners.

so I charge my day rate

That would take be about 6 hours or so and this is 50% of opening up sockets/switches Ect and if theirs a lot loose I will open up them all, I think the minimum is 25%.

Do you go and quote for the EICR?

Last edited by a moderator:
That would take be about 6 hours or so and this is 50% of opening up sockets/switches Ect and if theirs a lot loose I will open up them all, I think the minimum is 25%.

Do you go and quote for the EICR?

Yes, that said I don't do that many as I find them very boring and lots of people just want a piece of paper for the cheapest price possible and as I do not drop my prices.......

Yes, that said I don't do that many as I find them very boring and lots of people just want a piece of paper for the cheapest price possible and as I do not drop my prices.......

So I save what over an hour by having sort of set prices. So I essentially am covering an hourlong labour saving their. It's not like anyone charges to quote anymore Anyways :)

So I save what over an hour by having sort of set prices. So I essentially am covering an hourlong labour saving their. It's not like anyone charges to quote anymore Anyways :)

Been caught out a couple of times not having a proper look first.

One '4 bed' house had an extension with additional board plus a substantial garden office with shower room and its own gas heating system. The owner was OK with the EICR taking 1½ days and was charged accordingly.

The other '4 bed' house had three reception rooms with multiple wall lights for the art collection, a flat for the gardener, a generator, and supplies to the garage/workshop, greenhouse and the electric gates about 200m away. The owner was not happy to pay for more than a day, so the report detail was limited to the main house only, despite me pointing out the appalling condition of the garage electrics. Wouldn't surprise me if any one of his pictures was worth more than a year's wages.

I usually charge per cct, with a slightly higher price for the first cct. I have a minimum charge of £120.00 which covers up to five ccts. Domestic only. Would not do commercial EICRs as do not yet feel competent to do so. I charge £40 for first cct and £22 for every other cct. I have charged an orrible specimen of a landlord an extra £22 for a doorbell cct with the tranny next to the CU!

It is much better if the property has more than five ccts as the necessary paperwork makes the £120.00 charge a poor earner. Although saying that, a small flat with three ccts becomes a quite good earner.

£350.00 is expensive for domestic.

Last edited:
Been caught out a couple of times not having a proper look first.

One '4 bed' house had an extension with additional board plus a substantial garden office with shower room and its own gas heating system. The owner was OK with the EICR taking 1½ days and was charged accordingly.

The other '4 bed' house had three reception rooms with multiple wall lights for the art collection, a flat for the gardener, a generator, and supplies to the garage/workshop, greenhouse and the electric gates about 200m away. The owner was not happy to pay for more than a day, so the report detail was limited to the main house only, despite me pointing out the appalling condition of the garage electrics. Wouldn't surprise me if any one of his pictures was worth more than a year's wages.

Haven't come across that yet, but I guess as with problems, I was decide with client and either charge more or put what I have agreed to test and inspect on the limits and then they can decide.

So £238 for 10 circuits, day rate then!!

Good maths there mate! Might take a day, might take longer. Don't know til it's done. Paperwork could take 2+ hrs to type up. Depending on the issues found I often include a explanatory cover letter in more layman's terms. All takes time...

Reply to Cheap EICR prices in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock