Discuss Checking loop tester readings from a sample socket. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
After calibration of my loop tester,I am considering using a socket in the house for future calibration checks and to connect various low resistances in series with earth via a rotary switch to give a range of readings,and if so what value of resistors?Thanks for any advice.
SW

By the time you've done it'll have been as cheap to buy a calibration check box (£15 ish) but if you still want to make your own choose values of resistance from your calibration cert. You will also need a dedicated rcd/rcbo as well as a point for loop testing.

Generally you would be using the socket as a reference point so that you can ensure that the readings you get are not drifting.
i.e you have just had the meter calibrated and measuring at the socket gives a reading of 0.32 Ω.
On later tests over time at the socket the reading should remain at 0.32 Ω, comparing your results over time should give an indication of stability of the meter readings.

Introducing low value high current resistors into the mix could cause problems as the the test box will also be subject to variation and distort the readings unless you then have the test box calibrated!
Any errors in wiring or resistances in the selector switch will also be a cause for concern.
Use an insulation resistance / low resistance check box to track variability for those functions and a dedicated RCD and a non RCD source to check the stability of EFLI and RCD tester.

I considered making a box myself - some low value resistors for the continuity checks and high value ones for the IR tests. The trouble is by the time you've bought a decent project box, some high tolerance resistors, and enough 4mm sockets it comes close to the £20 or so for a ready-made box.
If you do make one then I would use separate 4mm sockets for each resistor rather than selecting resistors with a rotary switch. With a switch there will be variation in the contact resistance, especially as it gets older.
Daz

I had exactly the same idea. Resistors from Maplins were cheap enough, and your right it was the sockets and switch and enclosure that put the price up.

Reply to Checking loop tester readings from a sample socket. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock