Discuss Cheepo toolstation sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

Justmovedin

Hi just wandering if there is anything wrong with cheepo toolstation sockets. They are switched and like £2.50 for double sockets but I see some more expensive. Surely they must meet standards?

The sockets will meet the minimum standards in the UK but probably would not in any way exceed those minima, they will work but the chance of failure is higher than with the more recognised brands, if you are just running low current appliances and not switching them then they would probably hold out, high current and frequent switching will encourage failure. Then again Toolstation does have some surprisingly useful things at times so they may be OK, but if you want longevity choose a different make.

The most compelling reason I pay more for sockets apart from the above is that the way the terminals and screws are laid out. Cheaper ones seem to have the terminals and screws in strange places and poor quality screws making fitting the socket a bit of a nuisance having to turn the socket at weird angles to get to the screw. It seems Hager and MK have worked out we like to screw from the top of the socket and have all the terminals in line on the top, at last!

Is crabtree a good brand? Also from places like screwfix and toolstation do you guys in the trade get a better discount???

Not used too much Crabtree gear, but what little I have has always seemed of reasonable quality.

Trade discount, yes, but it's no guarantee you'd be able to buy decent accessories for less than your cheapo price.

Let's put this into context. Your home is one of the biggest investments you're going to ever make. Lets say you have 100 double socket outlets... the difference between a good brand and your cheepo example may be as little as a couple of quid each. Is it worth that little saving in the grand scheme of things? If you're going for fancy finishes like brushed chrome... they cost an arm and a leg compared to standard plastic accessories.

If your faced with a choice between scrimping on say the electrical installation and decorating... personally I'd fit top notch electrical gear and stick woodchip wallpaper on the walls... your wall paper's not going to kill you as a result of manufacturing defects or premature failure. The same can be said of furnishings and other home accessories.

We use Click accessories on a lot of jobs and don't have many go faulty. Just seem to get the odd switched fused spur that fails.

Aren't we seeing the same trend everywhere now? Brand new family size cars for less than £10,000, with all the mod cons. Looks brilliant doesn't it? My mates a mechanic, and he said there's 3 makes not to touch with a barge pole. Ssang Yong, Dacia, and Mazda. He said the metals used are so below standard that they start dropping to bits the minute you drive them out the showroom. But hey, you can have a brand new car for less than £10,000!

We use Click accessories on a lot of jobs and don't have many go faulty. Just seem to get the odd switched fused spur that fails.
I use Click because that's what my wholesaler stocks, and I'm happy enough with them. Had to laugh the time I wanted a double architrave switch though - Click double architrave switch, Click double architrave KO box..... screw holes didn't line up with each other.

You do if you have an "electrifix" account, but you have to be a Trades Person to get one, why not ask the Electrician doing your work to buy them from Electrifix, or better still get him to supply them.

You do if you have an "electrifix" account, but you have to be a Trades Person to get one, why not ask the Electrician doing your work to buy them from Electrifix, or better still get him to supply them.
he might end up with LAP then. still, for a budget price LAP ain't as bad as some members make out.

I wouldn't think the Toolstation ones are any different to MK which are now poor quality to say the least. Stick with Crabtree or Hager.

if your on a budget the Schneider lisse range is cheap online or at screwfix for a bit more, used a few and they feel good quality and have a bit of styling, I personally use the eaton premera range day to day but don't think screwfix do them

Hi just wandering if there is anything wrong with cheepo toolstation sockets. They are switched and like £2.50 for double sockets but I see some more expensive. Surely they must meet standards?

When you said cheap I thought you were talking about the £1.40 double sockets that do make you wonder how they can manufacture and ship them for the price although they are usually one of the major manufacturers cast off designs and they have moved the moulds on.
The £2.50 you quote isn't that cheap and there are some decent sockets around from well known manufacturers at that price point

Reply to Cheepo toolstation sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock