Discuss #Chuffed - first downstairs ring done in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Desiderata

Evening all,

Bursting with pride - yesterday managed to finish off and test my first from scratch ring final circuit, felt like a bloody test when it came to doing the testing but it passed with (almost) flying colours - only thing I had to change was a double socket front as it was a bit duff.

There, feel much better now - currently working on the upstairs radial socket circuit at the moment and looking good so far - getting faster at doing the basics which is a good sign!

Vinny

Evening all,

Bursting with pride - yesterday managed to finish off and test my first from scratch ring final circuit, felt like a bloody test when it came to doing the testing but it passed with (almost) flying colours - only thing I had to change was a double socket front as it was a bit duff.

There, feel much better now - currently working on the upstairs radial socket circuit at the moment and looking good so far - getting faster at doing the basics which is a good sign!

Vinny
how did you test the RFC?

with a scrum folloewd by a dropkick

Attached a plastic cup to each end of the Line conductor and tried talking to my mentor - if I couldn't hear him it meant there was a break in the conductor. Same for Neutral and the CPC ;)
That was the first test :)
With sarcastic replies like that you won't get much help from me.

With sarcastic replies like that you won't get much help from me.
Meant in complete jest Pete, very much light hearted and look forward to picking your brain, I'm not a young lad so anything said is always in good taste and I'm very much the sort of chap who'll be happy to say "I'm a mature learner who's wet behind the ears with electrics" so I'm willing to learn off anyone and everyone who has more experience than me (assuming of course they are doing things the right way!)

Meant in complete jest Pete, very much light hearted and look forward to picking your brain, I'm not a young lad so anything said is always in good taste and I'm very much the sort of chap who'll be happy to say "I'm a mature learner who's wet behind the ears with electrics" so I'm willing to learn off anyone and everyone who has more experience than me (assuming of course they are doing things the right way!)
OK point taken, end of

how did you test the RFC?
First set of tests I did was to measure the end to end resistance of each conductor and the cpc, cpc reading was higher as anticipated using 2.5mm twin and earth with a 1.5mm cpc.
Second set of tests I connected the outbound line to the inbound neutral and the same for opposite legs to get my figure of 8. Took the MFT (not mine, I need to buy one myself) around and measured the resistance between Line and Neutral at each socket (making sure they were all switched on). Noted the highest reading from a spur.
Third set was the same as above but connected Line and CPC.
Then did the insulation test and passed pretty much with flying colours.

The whole property is being rewired so I haven't done any other tests as yet, normally I sit down with the spark I'm helping out and we talk through the tests as he does them .

Vinny

Did you estimate your expected end to end result before you did the test? Then do the maths on /4 etc. And did the tests bear out the pre-estimate of them? With the maths for x1.67 etc? I am asking purely as a matter of interest btw.

Did you estimate your expected end to end result before you did the test? Then do the maths on /4 etc. And did the tests bear out the pre-estimate of them? With the maths for x1.67 etc? I am asking purely as a matter of interest btw.

Evening Vortigern,

If by end to end you mean expected resistance over a length of cable I didn't only because there was an awful lot of cable used :) but I did do the math on /4 and the 1.67 and my results to be fair weren't far out at all (I had the spark sat with me as I did everything) - a couple of readings at sockets seemed a little out but after turning the switches on and off a few times they came within expected range.

Ok well that seems to be a job well done. I would say that if you put in the ring cct you must know how much cable you used and should calculate expected results. Even an estimate of cable used would do. Even if it is a bit of a bother. It just means there is one bit of those calcs you are not really sure of which is not ideal. Of course you can reverse the results calc on end to end and judge the length from that and see if that seems right. Unless it some great mansion I don't imagine you used more than 50 metres for upstairs so 50 x 7.41 / 1000 0.37? If your result was .37(.4) . .37*1000/7.41=49.9 ie 50m I think just to say there are other ways to skin a cat.

Ok well that seems to be a job well done. I would say that if you put in the ring cct you must know how much cable you used and should calculate expected results. Even an estimate of cable used would do. Even if it is a bit of a bother. It just means there is one bit of those calcs you are not really sure of which is not ideal. Of course you can reverse the results calc on end to end and judge the length from that and see if that seems right. Unless it some great mansion I don't imagine you used more than 50 metres for upstairs so 50 x 7.41 / 1000 0.37? If your result was .37(.4) . .37*1000/7.41=49.9 ie 50m I think just to say there are other ways to skin a cat.

Appreciate that Vorti, next one I do i'll do the math first based on how much I've used - worth getting into good habits now whilst I'm still learning :thumbsup:

Reply to #Chuffed - first downstairs ring done in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock