Discuss Circuit Breakers Not Breaking! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

DomW

help!

I've just tried doing what I thought was a simple replacement of a plug fascia as the old one got covered in paint during some decorating. Turned off the power at the breaker, ensured the circuits were dead, removed the old plug front, wired in the new plug and replaced the fascia back on. I've then turned the breaker back on, plugged in a lamp to check the plug works and fine.

I've then gone to turn the breaker back off (to do the next plug in the room) and none of the appliances turn off when I flip the breaker.

When I throw the RCD in addition to the breaker they do go off.

Any ideas what I've done? I can't see how in the process of changing one plug frontage to another I've created a short.

I would suggest that your room has sockets on more than 1 circuit. Nothing unusual about that.

Try other breakers BUT be very careful

No, I think they're all on one circuit. The troublesome breaker is marked up for the living room complete and the first time I flipped the breaker the entire room went out.

I think you must be mistaken....... changing a socket will NOT produce the outcome you are suggesting.

Don't believe the labels.....

Totally confused now. Ran through each breaker individually to confirm exactly what turned off when tripped. Flicked the living room and everything went off. Back to how it should be. Thanks for your help!

As Murdoch says, changing a socket cannot cause this behaviour - I can only imagine you switched a different MCB off the second time? Daz

I'm sure you know that you have failed to follow safe isolation and also the requisite dead and live testing procedures in accordance with performing minor works?

This is frowned upon. Many on here, including myself can show you personal photographic evidence of this type of work gone wrong.

Please be careful.

Reply to Circuit Breakers Not Breaking! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock