Discuss Circulation pump permanently on in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

rolyberkin

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Can anyone help, I have looked at a central heating pump for my brother in law (who is a plumber!?:) it is an HRM oil fired boiler, the problem is that the circulation pump is permanently on, there is underfloor heating with the system, the wiring is shocking and I will probably have to re wire everything but just looking at a quick fix prior to pulling it all out and starting again.

I tested everything out a few weeks back and changed the head on one of the two port valves which appeared to solve the problem, I then left and then it has started running permanently again?

Any ideas as I am a bit lost, is it likely to be some kind of pump over run issue?

Thanks

Can anyone help, I have looked at a central heating pump for my brother in law (who is a plumber!?:) it is an HRM oil fired boiler, the problem is that the circulation pump is permanently on, there is underfloor heating with the system, the wiring is shocking and I will probably have to re wire everything but just looking at a quick fix prior to pulling it all out and starting again.

I tested everything out a few weeks back and changed the head on one of the two port valves which appeared to solve the problem, I then left and then it has started running permanently again?

Any ideas as I am a bit lost, is it likely to be some kind of pump over run issue?

Thanks

Expect its probably the other head gone now.

I had a faulty valve head a while ago and changing it solved the problem for a short time. When the replacement stopped working I took it off and realised the valve itself had become very stiff which is probably what caused the first one to pack in. A bit of WD40 on the valve fixed it.

I am convinced it is one of the valves however I wondered if the boiler has a pump run on thermostat or device, I wondered whether that was faulty and when it got up to temperature permanently on?

Is it just the pump that runs or is the Boiler on with it ?

Or does the Boiler work as it is expected ?

Is this a proper S PLAN ? ( I know there's more than one Two port MV but how many? and what on? )

If it's a correctly wired S plan then the supply to the pump will either come from the Orange ( normally ) wires off the two ports or from the Boiler (for the over run) as you mentioned.

If it's not wired correctly then as you know it could be anything ( cylinder stats, room stats, frost stats for example).

If I ever come across problems like this and it's not obvious, I always disconnect everything and start again. More often than not it is easier and quicker than trying to identify what someone else did wrong or trace/find a back feeds from something or find faults .

Thanks, yes I think the whole thing is a crock of ---- and needs rewiring, I have never seen such a bodge and In think his woes started around the time he had an underfloor zone added on. I will go up there and do it for him, the problem is I am in Essex, he is in Lincolnshire, payment will no doubt be a curry and beer!:)

As I recall I think there are three two port valves, one for heating, one for hot water and one for an underfloor heating zone, cannot remember what controls he has, will have to get him to send me some pics. I am not 100% confident on fault finding heating systems so will do me the world of go and re wire it.

I have rewired the whole heating system to which this post relates on Saturday and when I left (to travel to Essex from Lincolnshire!) everything was fine. I replaced all cables, there are three two port valves, one for heating, one for hot water and one for underfloor. There is Drayton twin programmer for CH and HW and separate wireless programmer for the underfloor. The UFH and CH are not currently switched on and my brother in law has just called to say that the pump is running when HW is put on timed or constant the pump is on constantly. I stayed overnight on Saturday and the water was set on constant and pump was not running continuously. I have today got him to turn off the two other zones and run just the hot water and the pump is running constantly, sticky valve or knackered microswitch or wiring faux pas? Anyone got any ideas?

Without going back thru, could it be the heads gone on one of the valves? Had it on my own CH/HW system? Can't remember now, but nc or no contacts were u/s, causing constant demand to boiler.

I have rewired the whole heating system to which this post relates on Saturday and when I left (to travel to Essex from Lincolnshire!) everything was fine. I replaced all cables, there are three two port valves, one for heating, one for hot water and one for underfloor. There is Drayton twin programmer for CH and HW and separate wireless programmer for the underfloor. The UFH and CH are not currently switched on and my brother in law has just called to say that the pump is running when HW is put on timed or constant the pump is on constantly. I stayed overnight on Saturday and the water was set on constant and pump was not running continuously. I have today got him to turn off the two other zones and run just the hot water and the pump is running constantly, sticky valve or knackered microswitch or wiring faux pas? Anyone got any ideas?

Is the pump connected to the oranges of the valves or does the boiler have pump over run?

Pump is connected to the orange wires, I have told him to turn off the UFH programmer and the heating side of the programmer and the hot water is constantly on, I think the next plan has to be to change the HW two port valve?

Pump is connected to the orange wires, I have told him to turn off the UFH programmer and the heating side of the programmer and the hot water is constantly on, I think the next plan has to be to change the HW two port valve?
Hmm that's strange...If the pump is running its getting 230V from somewhere which would also fire the boiler. Is there a separate wiring centre for the UFH heating?

The Hot Water is constantly on when turned on at the time clock, i.e not cutting out, I think the boiler is also firing constantly. I have wired the UFH pump to a separate wireless time clock/thermostat as only one zone and working with what was there. Now starting to doubt my wiring although at the weekend everything seemed to be working okay?

The Hot Water is constantly on when turned on at the time clock, i.e not cutting out, I think the boiler is also firing constantly. I have wired the UFH pump to a separate wireless time clock/thermostat as only one zone and working with what was there. Now starting to doubt my wiring although at the weekend everything seemed to be working okay?
If the is the boiler constantly firing when the timeclock is constantly on or is it boiler constantly firing even when the timeclock is set to off?

When time clock is on the pump on and boiler was firing, when time clock off everything off. When you turn all off and then turn on individually the respective zone the correct valve and pump/pumps combinations work and the boiler fires. When I was there on sat night after a well earned few beers the pump was still running and I was concerned the problem was still there. I got up and turned the rooms stat down on the CH and it all switched off. He has phoned me today so I wonder if the valve is sticking intermittently?

When time clock is on the pump on and boiler was firing, when time clock off everything off. When you turn all off and then turn on individually the respective zone the correct valve and pump/pumps combinations work and the boiler fires. When I was there on sat night after a well earned few beers the pump was still running and I was concerned the problem was still there. I got up and turned the rooms stat down on the CH and it all switched off. He has phoned me today so I wonder if the valve is sticking intermittently?
sounds like a wiring issue to me. generally when two port valves stick the boiler will still constantly fire when off at the programmer as the micro switch is closed between grey which is perm live and orange which is switched live to boiler/pump.

Bit odd !
It sounds like it could be either a sticky micro switch or a wiring fault to me.

The only doubts I have about a wiring fault is that you just re wired it !

The doubts I have about microswitch is that the clock wouldn't stop it running ( if wired correctly).

To rule it out micro switch disconnect orange and grey on each valve and test continuity, there shouldn't be any when valves are closed. It won't necessarily be the hot water micro that's stuck
( if it is that ).

Where's your PL to grey from? No switches involved in that are there?
Room / cal stats etc to just brown on valves ?

I will have to go back to fault find, the UFH zone is not controlled by the same programmer as the CH and HW, it has its own wireless programmable rooms stat. I have wired the UFH and the additional pump via the feed from the additional programmer, I wonder if this is in some way back feeding the CH pump? Everything in isolation was working fine on Saturday.

Reply to Circulation pump permanently on in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock