Discuss Circulation pump permanently on in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you have an SL (orange) from the UFH valve to that pump (UFH) and to the boiler and the boiler and CH pump are fed from the orange on the other two then when the UFH valve is open, there will be a back feed from the UFH orange via boiler SL to CH pump and vice versa, yes.
In that case you could use contactor sets for the boiler SL and pumps, (Two two pole, one for each pump use orange to throw contact set).

If it needs a pump over run, you will have to incorporate a delay timer

Thanks for your time, I have wired the live from the independant wireless timer/thermostat to the UFH pump and then also the brown on the UFH zone valve. The CH pump and boiler being connected via the orange wire. To my mind when the thermostat calls for heat the UFH pump should immediately switch on, then the zone valve would energise kicking in the boiler and CH pump. When the zone is up to heat the thermostat should switch off turning off the UFH pump and then de energising the zone valve and turning off the s/l to boiler and pump?
Alternatively when the CH or HW turn on they should not turn on the independent UFH pump? Am I missing something?

The only thing I didn't rewire on Sat was the CH pump as it had been installed at a wonky angle, and I couldn't get the front off how about the internal wiring in the pump is reverse polarity and back feeding that way?

Thanks yes thanks for your help makes sense, never used a contact set as have always used a wiring centre with a separate UFH pump terminal, I take it you mean a 2 pole 240v relay. Is there any preferred make or setup?

I have deleted your posts as requested.

You can PM @rolyberkin by using the envelope in the top right corner or by clicking on his profile.

Thanks for your time, I have wired the live from the independant wireless timer/thermostat to the UFH pump and then also the brown on the UFH zone valve. The CH pump and boiler being connected via the orange wire. To my mind when the thermostat calls for heat the UFH pump should immediately switch on, then the zone valve would energise kicking in the boiler and CH pump. When the zone is up to heat the thermostat should switch off turning off the UFH pump and then de energising the zone valve and turning off the s/l to boiler and pump?
Alternatively when the CH or HW turn on they should not turn on the independent UFH pump? Am I missing something?

Not an expert on heating systems, but did an UFH last year. Seem to remember the thermostat for the UFH switched the zone valve for the UFH, via the orange wire. The UFH pump is given a live feed, and operates via the mixer valve and just keeps turning on & off, blending the heated water from the boiler with the loop for the UFH?

Ps, it's all flooding back to me!

UFH stat calls for heat & opens the UFH zone valve, which in turn ask the boiler/pump to turn on, for heated water. Meanwhile, UFH mixer valve & pump, who live in a world of their own, sense there's some lovely hot water to blend, and open & start pumping around the loop. When UFH stat cancels call for heat, UFH zone valve closes, and after a short period UFH mixer valve & pump, sense the good times are over and close & stop.
Any how, that's how the manufacturers rep explained it to me, I think :)

Unfortunately as this is a stand alone single circuit and the previous sparks didn't put in a dedicated wiring centre which I would normally use which has the ability to setup multiple pumps, I think I need either a different wiring centre or to put in a relay to stop the second pump back feeding the HW/CH pump, however I keep looking at the wiring diagram and can't work out where the back feed is coming from, got them pulling the wireless receiver tonight to see if that solves it!:-( I wouldn't mind but he is plumber by trade, he should be able to do his own wiring!:)

I've seen single circuit UFH's with a separate supply for the pump from a fused spur and the pump works off a stat (in the manifold), like midwest is describing and the valve is just used to isolate that circuit, (stop flow).
If there is more than one loop, it needs more control over the pump. That's when you normally see the wiring centres, as I remember.
Unfortunately as this is a stand alone single circuit and the previous sparks didn't put in a dedicated wiring centre which I would normally use which has the ability to setup multiple pumps, I think I need either a different wiring centre or to put in a relay to stop the second pump back feeding the HW/CH pump, however I keep looking at the wiring diagram and can't work out where the back feed is coming from, got them pulling the wireless receiver tonight to see if that solves it!:-( I wouldn't mind but he is plumber by trade, he should be able to do his own wiring!:)

Does the manifold have a stat built in for the pump ?

The bodge way is to connect the UFH pump to the brown of the UFH 2 port valve and call for heat from the UFH thermostat. The ideal way is to connect the UFH pump to the coil of a relay along with the orange of the UFH 2 port valve.

I've seen single circuit UFH's with a separate supply for the pump from a fused spur and the pump works off a stat (in the manifold), like midwest is describing and the valve is just used to isolate that circuit, (stop flow).
If there is more than one loop, it needs more control over the pump. That's when you normally see the wiring centres, as I remember.

Does the manifold have a stat built in for the pump ?
The manifold doesn't have a stat built in, it is acting like a heating circuit, one zone valve, wireless thermostat/timer.

Reply to Circulation pump permanently on in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net