Discuss City & Guilds 2394/2395 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Has anyone sat the new 2394/2395 version of inspection + testing? I did the original 2391 several years ago but because it is now obsolete, I had to update it. I found a lot of the content on the new course was focused on how to ensure compliance when recording/reporting results rather than the actual process of carrying out testing + verification. A lot of time spent on requirements of Amendment 3 which you should have already gone over in detail when doing the regs update course. I wouldn't like to be doing inspection & testing for the first time + having to do this version, it's very different from when I first did mine.

Yeh there is no written exam now. 4 hour practical. Two on line exams. One is multiple choice the other is effectively the written exam and you have to write the answers into the computer. So a question like; What three documents or items would an inspector require prior to conducting and EICR you would then list the items in writing. And things like draw the earth fault path on TT installation they have the bits and you have to name them and draw a line throught the EF path and so on.

The fact that the exam is closed book is very odd. The exam is more of a test of your memory rather than competence. I've been doing testing for years + I still refer to the literature for reference. I'd be lost without my Max Zs lists etc, haha..

Why is the 2391 obsolete, who told you to update it. Every year I am told by these scheme bods my 2400 is no longer applicable and I should "update", I just stare at them and say absolutely nothing they soon move on.

Why is the 2391 obsolete, who told you to update it. Every year I am told by these scheme bods my 2400 is no longer applicable and I should "update", I just stare at them and say absolutely nothing they soon move on.
I wasn't able to do an Amm 3 update for the 2391 because the 2394/2395 has replaced it. There may be training providers that still do it but the one we use don't.

I think in some cases these days the NICEIC deem holding a screwdriver the right way around as being competent.
Sorry in advance, as I don't mean to offend the Nice Guys, but in some cases the safest way of holding the driver would be pointy end inwards. Then no harm would come to others ...

Yeh there is no written exam now. 4 hour practical. Two on line exams. One is multiple choice the other is effectively the written exam and you have to write the answers into the computer. So a question like; What three documents or items would an inspector require prior to conducting and EICR you would then list the items in writing. And things like draw the earth fault path on TT installation they have the bits and you have to name them and draw a line throught the EF path and so on.

Depends which route you go. If you go the 'easy' route, ie. EAL, then there is no written exam. If you do the C&G version then there is a written exam still.

The colleges in my area, 1 of which I served my apprenticeship only offers the EAL now, the tutor said that there is very little difference between the C&G and the EAL.
I'm hoping to do mine in May and June. Providing it doesn't get cancelled due to low numbers again.

I did mine in Chesterfield and everyone was doing the eal route except me! Everyone else just did the multiple choice computer based exam. I had to come back for the closed book written exam. Luckily I passed!

I have just sat the 2394/95. There's an online multiple choice exam, a practical exam for each part and a written exam for each part.

Don't know if it's different for Scotland than England but that was my experience.

I have just sat the 2394/95. There's an online multiple choice exam, a practical exam for each part and a written exam for each part.

Don't know if it's different for Scotland than England but that was my experience.

That's what it was like for mine. For the C&G route.

As I say I did the C&G, the written exam was online though. Bit puzzled was your written exam at a desk with pen and paper or online. Pretty much the same as you have to write online with the keyboard and so on. As I understand it that is what C&G are doing now, as was my experience. And the result was pretty fast as well.

Reply to City & Guilds 2394/2395 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net