Discuss City & Guilds Qualified ??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Graham Hyde

Hi

i saw a local electrician today with a nice shiny city and guilds qualified logo on his van.
Never seen this before apart from on a painter and decorators van a year or so back.

i had to go on the C&G website to get a replacement copy of my 2365 certificate. Whilst there i came across a page that explains how to get a nice pretty sticker.

It appears if you have a level 2 c&G qualification then you too can stick a lovely sticker on your van, surely this is misleading and confusing to customers. People often associate C&G courses as a sign of quality and competence ? To put on a van or letter head 'C&G qualified' is a bit cheeky.. what does it even mean?

http://www.cityandguilds.com/help/more-help/qualified-logo

i am not in anyway fully qualified myself and have much to still learn as the company i was doing my apprenticeship with went under before i could do my AM2... i am now working my way through loads of paperwork to get the last few odds and ends of my NVQ portfolio tidied up and get started in the trade. Given this service from C & G i have it appears wasted several years of study and an apprenticeship.

it seems all i need to do to convince joe public is upload my level 2 certificate and await my new logo and like magic i am qualified...

Anybody else think this C&G qualified thing is a complete joke?

The whole system there is a joke. Boil in the bag courses. Part P. Domestic installer what a load of rubbish. Every qualified spark should have a licence and licence number that goes into a data base where anyone can check to see if he's been blacklisted ect etc. if your not qualified then you should not be issued with any card this is including improver etc as this can be misleading. I know you have the Gold JIB card but who asks for that nowadays? I know numerous sparks who haven't got one... I'm not discrediting their performance as an electrician but come on...

The whole system there is a joke. Boil in the bag courses. Part P. Domestic installer what a load of rubbish. Every qualified spark should have a licence and licence number that goes into a data base where anyone can check to see if he's been blacklisted ect etc. if your not qualified then you should not be issued with any card this is including improver etc as this can be misleading. I know you have the Gold JIB card but who asks for that nowadays? I know numerous sparks who haven't got one... I'm not discrediting their performance as an electrician but come on...
Boil in the bag courses now Kenny? love it,

In fact if you get such a sticker the level you have acheived is on the sticker so that consumers are "aware" of what level of expertise you have.

I clicked on the c&g link, but it doesn't say how much they charge for the sticker, i can't see it been free or just the cost of the sticker, i wonder if they charge a yearly licence fee to use the logo, they'll be wanting to make as much as they can like the scam providers.

Isn't that what we pay the scams for?
The whole system is crap, I think you are right in that all skilled/qualified tradesmen should be licensed. Something not dissimilar to having a driving license which clearly states at what level you are qualified/competent. Maybe a similar points system, or down those lines, where if reported for non compliant or dangerous work you would accumulate points or a ban if its something serious??

Yeah very much so... the public/employer have every right to know who there hiring. I know over here they use a vetting system before your hired called ERMS. So if you have done anything dangerous onsite. If you ever been blacklisted from a project. If you've sexually harassed or physically harassed someone. These all show up on your file and then you don't get hired. It seems to work a treat everyone is paranoid to step out of line.

I clicked on the c&g link, but it doesn't say how much they charge for the sticker, i can't see it been free or just the cost of the sticker, i wonder if they charge a yearly licence fee to use the logo, they'll be wanting to make as much as they can like the scam providers.
The sooner we get One Regulator the better, Sparkies are assessed every year Heating and Gas trades are every 5 years, something wrong somewhere, I could go on and on about this fiasco, but you would get bored.

See them all the time saw a sparkies van with one the other day it was strangely more prominent than the NICEIC one.

The sooner we get One Regulator the better, Sparkies are assessed every year Heating and Gas trades are every 5 years, something wrong somewhere, I could go on and on about this fiasco, but you would get bored.

I didn't know that !
Every twelve months ?
Do you mean you have a visit from NIC like we have Gas safe ?

Years ago, to be City and Guilds qualified did actually mean you had done real and proper exams. In other words, they counted for something, took years to achieve and lasted a lifetime, tradesmen were proud to be City and Guilds qualified.
Today's exam standards, in all trades are tin pot rubbish in my opinion.
I have seen all manner of ridiculous situations recently and I blame it all on the way people are trained and assessed.

Reply to City & Guilds Qualified ??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock