Discuss City & Guilds Qualified ??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Annual assessment and £500 later (unless your with Stroma), what's the crack with Gas Safe out of interest?

Every five years for ACS reassessments and visits from gas safe at random really.
I do my ACS domestic assessments one year and Commercial heating and commercial catering the year after.
Costs a fortune ! It would be better to be more regularly reassessed on regulations changing than keep going over the same ground.

The sooner we get One Regulator the better, Sparkies are assessed every year Heating and Gas trades are every 5 years, something wrong somewhere, I could go on and on about this fiasco, but you would get bored.
It's simple schemes carry on administrating the part P on behalf of LCBC the existing cscs card used to have some sort of licence system

There has been a lot of good debate on here the last few days the video of the commons committee was I think 2014 it is about time someone took note

So to put it simply to be a gas safe contractor, how much does it cost each year?

Probably costs me around £400 or £500 PA and 6 or 7 days not earning overall

Most domestic only folk I'd guess around £200-£300 PA and 3-4 days not earning .

It varies quite a lot though depending on what you do. You can just do core safety and gas fires for example so you'd be less still.

Probably costs me around £400 or £500 PA and 6 or 7 days not earning overall

Most domestic only folk I'd guess around £200-£300 PA and 3-4 days not earning .

It varies quite a lot though depending on what you do. You can just do core safety and gas fires for example so you'd be less still.

Interesting, there was a lot of referrals and referencing to Gas Safe that commons committee vid that Anthony mentioned, as the 'way to go' for the Part P schemes. Do you think the Gas Safe scheme is fit for purpose?

Interesting, there was a lot of referrals and referencing to Gas Safe that commons committee vid that Anthony mentioned, as the 'way to go' for the Part P schemes. Do you think the Gas Safe scheme is fit for purpose?

It's difficult to say if it's 'fit for purpose'. I think it's too easy but I know a lot of people do fail it or get referred back to training which scares me. I suppose that says more about the background or training they had prior to attending the ACS course.
The Part P ( inspection and testing) course I did a few years ago was on similar lines to ACS.

I don't know if it was similar due to it being carried out in an ACS test centre. It was NIC designed ( after many alterations and re writes) so I presume it would be the same wherever it was done ?

As far as Gas Safe goes, they tend to keep a regular eye on those they doubt to be honest. Some are visited a few times per year !

It's difficult to say if it's 'fit for purpose'. I think it's too easy but I know a lot of people do fail it or get referred back to training which scares me. I suppose that says more about the background or training they had prior to attending the ACS course.
The Part P ( inspection and testing) course I did a few years ago was on similar lines to ACS.

I don't know if it was similar due to it being carried out in an ACS test centre. It was NIC designed ( after many alterations and re writes) so I presume it would be the same wherever it was done ?

As far as Gas Safe goes, they tend to keep a regular eye on those they doubt to be honest. Some are visited a few times per year !

This makes sense. Adjust the interval according to previous results/findings.

C&G was the benchmark qualication when I started. My lad is now in his 3rd year as an apprentice. In my first block realease at college I did more days than he did in his first year!!!! He will soon complete apprenticeship after 3 years?? what happened to 4 years time served??....ahhhh i think I need a horlicks!!!

A lad that used to help be and has now finished his apprenticeship (so he tells me) has just had this put on his van.

The thing is he isn't part P and so doesn't notify, has no insurance and until recently has been using some old robin separates for testing that haven't been calibrated for about 10 years. But it's ok he is C & G qualified to level 3!

Saw a pick up with topbox today. Belonged to a gardener/landscaper. And on the side of the topbox was his sign writing and a C&G Qualified logo on it. First one I've seen.

even worse is "part p qualified". what does that mean apart from the fact that his cheque to the scam hasn't bounced?

Reply to City & Guilds Qualified ??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net