Discuss Clarkson Evans Assessment Day in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Reds

Hello all, great forum.

I've applied for an apprenticeship with Clarkson Evans and have been called for an assessment day next month. I'm a mature student (mid 30's!) and haven't been on an assessment day in my life! I haven't got a clue what to expect, received a phone call and a couple of tests mentioned but no further info. Anyone got any idea what to expect? would really appreciate any info. Thanks!

I remember for my apprenticeship (not clarkson evans) 50 of us had to sit an aptitude test and then the top 5 got an interview and then i got the job. I was also a mature apprentice (22) so naturally you are at an advantage over a 16yr old. The aptitude test was a sequence test with 4 lights, if you turn number 2 on then number 4 goes out etc.

Good luck and try and check online for examples of aptitude tests and try and anticipate questions for your interview.

Hello all, great forum.

I've applied for an apprenticeship with Clarkson Evans and have been called for an assessment day next month. I'm a mature student (mid 30's!) and haven't been on an assessment day in my life! I haven't got a clue what to expect, received a phone call and a couple of tests mentioned but no further info. Anyone got any idea what to expect? would really appreciate any info. Thanks!

It's just a basic English and Math test along with a very simple practical test (Strip a piece of t&e and terminate it into a switch at both ends). There's also a group discussion where you have to talk rubbish and give opinions for 5 mins.

On a side note, I'd consider excactly what type of electrician you want to be when accepting an apprentiship with this outfit, as they only take on a very narrow field of work. New build residential:ack2:

I'm a mature (ish) student, i was 23 when i started. I sat the Clarkson Evans assessment day about 2 years ago it consisted of basic Math, English & Mechanics exams, colour blind test, 150 word 'essay' in 10-15 minutes on the topic of 'Our favourite holiday,' a practical in which we connected 2 single socket outlets on a board with a piece of t&e, a group discussion on topics such as popular music, sports and public figures and a 2 minute one-on-one interview with the managing director. I think that was everything.

A lot of people have their own opinions on the company but as a mature student it was the only way i could get a qualification and experience without having to payout money i didn't have, at a time when no one seemed to be taking on apprentices and for that i am grateful.

Hello all, great forum.

Hello mate, how did you get on?

I was an apprentice with them. I was positive & excited when I started.
Long hours in the summer 60+
Early starts
Was tought health & safety & electricity at works act & was told if we ever have an issue to say something. So I did, told them they broke the electricity at works act by sending me & another apprentice to setup a site with power from a generator. No testing, certificates done & unsupervised as we had no qualified team leader with us either. I was not happy. Anothe job was first fixing & i had to drill a 6" core hole up a double ladder fully extended cos no scaffolding or lifting crane. Ground was uneven, drill was connected to the generator & I had to lean over on the ladder to do it. & all my young snotty team leader said was to hurry up cos he wanted to go home (& he was sat on his arse). I politely told him it would be done when it's done not be nasty at all.
He made a complaint about me & the s**t hit the fan. I was going to have disciplinary meeting with hr, area manager, apprentice manager etc all there. So I said I would record the meeting as I had no representation to which they said it was against company policy to do so. I stood my ground & they eventually cancelled that meeting & it was just me & the apprenticeship manager. I backed everything up regarding breaking eawa & h&s with paperwork, their website & what it said & time sheet etc. Works was hell after that for 6 months until I had enough & left.
All this had a bad effect on my family life & now we've split up.
Not a fan of this company.

Also when I was leaving they had brought in distance learning for what was meant to be the college day. No day off for college as you worked onsite that day & the distance learning was in your time.
Not sure how they can get away with that.

Last edited:

Reply to Clarkson Evans Assessment Day in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net