1. We've split off Commercial Electrician Talk and Industrial Electrician Talk from the main Electrical Forum. Please take note when you're looking for and posting new threads. :) 

Checkout the new Electricians Directory which you can add your business details to for free.

We've also teamed up with an insurance firm to offer you guys some discounted insurance. These guys will customise your insurance to fit your needs perfectly. Enquire using the following pages: VAN - FLEET - PROFESSIONAL INDEMNITY - OTHER TYPES OF INSURANCE.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Checkout the new BritishForums.co.uk, register for free and enter the competition to win a £25 Amazon Voucher!

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Class 2 double insulated shaver socket?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.co.uk.

1. tudge56

tudge56 EF Member

Anyone know of a bathroom suitable shaver socket that doesn't require an earth? I know the safety transformer load side doesn't need earthing, but all the ones I've come across, even the plastic ones, still have an earthing terminal presumably to earth the supply side (metal components within the switch?). And the earthing terminals don't look like one of those 'dummy' earth terminals that's just for keeping the earth tidy (plus they're not marked as class II).
    Got a house with those wonderful lighting circuits wired in twin with no earth :-S

Thanks for the help in advance.

2. Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Idpost

Idpost EF Member

Could you feed it from a fused spur instead? You'd also need RCD protection, if it's not already protected.

4. westward10

westward10 Electrician's Arms

Top Poster Of Month

You are not going to find a double insulated shaver socket. You have the choice of rewiring the circuit or as previous post said resupply from a known, rcd protected earthed circuit giving suitable circuit protection as necessary.

J.C.E likes this.
  5. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Or get em a razor!

6. Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  7. tudge56

tudge56 EF Member

Thanks guys. It's in the middle of a brand new, all tiled bathroom with solid floors and ceilings throughout the house.....don't you just hate builders who think they're electricians......razors it is!

8. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

I had something similar recently with a bathroom refurbishment, who wanted down lights, illuminated vanity mirror. At quotation stage I identified like of cpc for lighting, to client. In fact the whole installation was asking for a rewire, which I told the client I couldn't take on, being a billy no mates. He declined my referral to some colleagues, couldn't afford it? Went ahead with his refurb', 'monsoon' shower, tiled walls & floors, and I fitted a Class II bathroom light.:rolleyes: