Discuss Clear stuff exuding from neutral terminal on Immersion element in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

The Ghost

Hi, got this request to look at immersion heater. Customer says there was a burning plastic smell coming from immersion element head, he looked and saw clear "stuff" coming from the blue terminal. I asked if the cable looked burnt and he said no. So I was thinking of going with some butyl and crimps in case neutral needs reterminating properly. However I was just thinking maybe the element itself is at the end of its life and the glue or whatever holds it in its housing was coming apart. Anyone encountered this?

if it's a post terminal, i'd use ring crimps.

...Or maybe someone used a heat-shrink adhesive terminal and it's the glue...would be soft at element terminal temperatures.

Do not discount any possibility,folk place many strange items,in cylinder cupboards ;)

My initial thought would be that the clear stuff would be water coming from a tiny leak which has developed where the end of the element is attached to the boss.

The plastic insulation on small crimp lugs won't necessarily get on very well with the temperature in an immersion heater.

Good point @davesparks, insulation is not too happy either really. Well nice if it was as simple as a leak can just get a new element fitted. I was thinking maybe there is some plastic which seals the element to the body and has gone into meltdown, going soon to have a look will post pic if poss. Later!

When I say leak, I mean from the actual element not from the tank. I have done it in the past, nowadays I get a plumber to change the element.
In any event, the neutral cable was attached to the neutral post on the element with a terminal block. The screw on the post of the element had become loose and the resultant heat melted the plastic around the terminal block which ended up looking like it may have come from the element itself to the customer. So a new element will be installed...by a plumber. I will as usual re-terminate the connections. I have tended to stay clear of messing with anything but the trade I know. I have done it in the past but there are risks associated with buckling the tank in some circumstances. I carry enough responsibility with the electrics.

Reply to Clear stuff exuding from neutral terminal on Immersion element in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock