Discuss Cnc machine bonding to structural steelwork in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mort2376

The factory I look after has just taken delivery of a new Cnc machine.

I was there today to wire it up, no problems 4core 10mm swa done.

The filter said that the machine needs a separate earth bond to the structural steel work. I said that's not my problem as its part of your installation as agreed. However I have a feeling I am going to end up doing it.

Before I left I did a quick check and measured from MET to the steelwork and got a reading of 60ohms, so I am guessing that the steel is not bonded ( factory is over 100 years old and space is rented )

I am not happy that they are going to bond to the steelwork with such a high difference between the MET and there. Why does the machine need a separate bond ? It is earthed through the swa. Has anyone else come across this ? I have searched the net and found lots of info regarding it from the USA but cannot find definite answers.

Any help advice is appreciated.

i can't see any reason to bond the machine to the steel.if the steel is not tied down at 0v, then a fault down to the steel would also be transmitted to the machine. ask the guy what regulation he's using to request this.

He doesn't know, it's just how they tell them to do it. It's a German machine, so maybe they have different regs ?

Maybe the m/c bonding is from the dreaded "manufacturer's instruction" ? In terms of the steelwork itself, shouldn't it be bonded ? (Extraneous C.P. ?) Cheers, David.
Yes the steelwork should be and I have pointed that out however as usual in a rented building its on the who pays for it list !

I am concerned about the potential difference between the main earth and the steel if they use it.

If the structure is suitable bonded then cross bonding to it isn't safe. The SWA earth should be fine or run a separate earth direct to MET

I have put it in writing that at present it is not safe in my opinion to bond to the structure due to no main bond to that. I have stated I will not connect it and have put the ball back in the installers court. Now the waiting game begins !

Yes connect a red light between the structure and true earth. Then tell them if the red light comed on don't touch any part of the building. Maybe they will grasp the implications.

I have never seen a a cnc install where the structural is isolated from the machines earthed body, a pic would be interesting to see, also what is the earthing system for the building and is the structural steel within bridging distance of the machines supply earth?

I'm assuming the structural mentioned is the building structure, not any additional "structure" to the machine. That I'd expect to be earthed as part of the install. Probably not possible to not be.

It's the main building structure but it's a 100yr old mill and the space is rented so it's a who is going to pay for it situation. Not good but fairly typical I find.

The incoming is tns. The main transformer / substation is in the building and is the best place imho to bond the structural framework to as there are several boards throughout the building in different units.

That makes sense but nit a nice can of worms to open. At that age there maybe issues with poor continuity across the whole structure. Could involve supplementary additional bonding to tie it all together.

It's the main building structure but it's a 100yr old mill and the space is rented so it's a who is going to pay for it situation. Not good but fairly typical I find.

The incoming is tns. The main transformer / substation is in the building and is the best place imho to bond the structural framework to as there are several boards throughout the building in different units.

Who’s going to pay when there’s a dust explosion and someone is killed?

There’s more to this than BS7671 compliance.

Ah I'm with it now, well it depends on the contract with the landlord, in all honesty this issue should have been addressed with any electrical work that has been carried out in the building long before this machine arrived, it would seem the suppliers of the machine are just covering their arse here by noting it but its down to who ever installs the supply to note the need for the bonding and include it in the installation costs of the supply cable, whether this an be reclaimed from the landlord is down to the contract the tenent has with them.

Regarding the structural, are they old cast iron rises holding up the wooden roofing frame thus no actual continuity above ground between them?

Last edited:
They are all connected by central beams ( metal ) running length of building. I have as usual inherited this job as they were struggling to find an electrician ( can see why now ) Am thinking of saying you need an eicr carrying out as I think there will be far more problems when you dig down a little. This could've be a walk away job for me as potentially far more problems and hassle than I want to deal with !

As the machine will have a negative effect on production while it's not running, I would in your position be liasing with your customer for a quick solution and not to be seen as spanner in the works here, I would in your shoes, approach them with your concerns and a price for you to rectify it while expressing you don't want to see this drawn into a --- for tat regarding whose paying as the machine will not be producing anything and will cost more in the long run.. I'm sure they will see your keen approach to get this machine up and running as a positive and probably just tell you to do what is needed - let them worry about reclaiming anything of the landlord here if their contract implies they can

You can also reiterate that the install you have done hasn't reduced the safety of the current non compliant installation as required by the regs. Its however not as safe as current regs would require.

Reply to Cnc machine bonding to structural steelwork in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock