Discuss code 3 or no code in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you think about it the "zones" aspect to IP lights is a really stupid interpretation!

Whatever the height, if a non ip rated lamp blows, gravity will "ensure" the debris ends up on the floor or in the bath or shower. In this respect IP rated lights should really be a must in a bathroom, irrespective of the height IMHO

If you think about it the "zones" aspect to IP lights is a really stupid interpretation!

Whatever the height, if a non ip rated lamp blows, gravity will "ensure" the debris ends up on the floor or in the bath or shower. In this respect IP rated lights should really be a must in a bathroom, irrespective of the height IMHO

I am constantly naked in every room of my house. Shall i IP the lot? :leaving: :lol:

If it is near the bath/shower, and halogen - i.e. hot, then C3 for me, both for risk of hot glass, also waving arms about (with towel). But if LED lamp is fitted and not hot, probably no code.

If it is near the bath/shower, and halogen - i.e. hot, then C3 for me, both for risk of hot glass, also waving arms about (with towel). But if LED lamp is fitted and not hot, probably no code.

Same applies anywhere...if you are in the kitchen and a load of hot glass drops into your hair....dinner(!!) or any where else it's just as bad. I understand where you are coming from but IMO the only consideration as far as an EICR is concerned is does it comply with regulations. Bringing personal opinions into EICR's is why two experienced electricians carrying out a report on the same installation may end up with two different reports. If the only consideration is compliance with regulations that would be less likely.

Same applies anywhere...if you are in the kitchen and a load of hot glass drops into your hair....dinner(!!) or any where else it's just as bad. I understand where you are coming from but IMO the only consideration as far as an EICR is concerned is does it comply with regulations. Bringing personal opinions into EICR's is why two experienced electricians carrying out a report on the same installation may end up with two different reports. If the only consideration is compliance with regulations that would be less likely.

I've seen more than once 50W halogen GU10s above the side of a bath, but just out of zone 2, slightly higher than 2.25m above FFL. To my mind they are not suitable for the location - when stepping out of the bath, you might well touch a hot lamp, if waving bare arms about (as one does, with a towel). In theory they just comply with regs, but to my mind they present a risk for this reason. Plus there is a risk of splashing the hot glass with water from a shower, causing the hot glass to shatter.

I think this is different to other rooms, and the main reason why I'd give them a code in this case.

Good debate this. It shows things aren't always black and white. Nice to see a good discussion involving different points of view but with no offensiveness. Daz

Reply to code 3 or no code in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net