Discuss Code for lack of grommets/glands in Amd 3 Consumer Unit. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Access to live parts a major issue on that installation by not fitting blanks, Knockouts with no glands and tails showing signs of damage. Tail gland kits are not expensive and make such a neater looking job. The MET appears to have a 16mm from DNO cut out to MET block then a 10mm run into the consumer unit, also there is only 1 10mm bonding cable from MET block which would mean only 1 bonding cable running to incoming gas or water? the lack of labeling on the CU and MET also shows signs of a cowboy installer grab the cash and run jobby to me.

I was taught to run 1 to water and another to the gas from the MET.

Then your teacher was correct,both services sometimes require bonding, running a cable to each can cover that requirement
there is however,more than one way to skin a cat :) and because something is done correctly,it does not mean there are not other permitted means to comply

Quite a lot of electrical requirements can be achieved with differing solutions, it can be elusive sometimes finding justification for another persons method

I suppose that is why electricians are regularly disputing or interpreting regs with one and other,they can have differing and compliant means to reach the same outcome

Exactly why i love this trade i learn new ways all the time. My boss would always want me to install separate bonding to incoming gas and water and thats what he prices for so i do as he says, but every spark is different and as i say im learning all the time and loving it.

Standard finger -if you can poke something 12.5mm in dia and 75mm long and touch and exposed part then it needs to have a gromit/ gland fitted.
I remember my collage lecturer finding a standard finger amusing. I don't know why?:rolleyes:

Reply to Code for lack of grommets/glands in Amd 3 Consumer Unit. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net