Discuss Combi Gas boiler in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I know sweet F all about gas boilers so I need some help, all of a sudden when running the Bath the H2O goes from hot to cold, been ok for yonks.

N power engineer turned up today, and is trying to blame the new bathroom,a direct replacement of the old, I had a bit of a barny with the gas bloke, can't see how a new bathroom ( which was put in about 8 months ago) could cause this, anyone got any thoughts?

Does it do it every time you run the bath? If so then get the missus to run the bath while you check out the boiler, to see what happens.

I know sweet F all about gas boilers so I need some help, all of a sudden when running the Bath the H2O goes from hot to cold, been ok for yonks.

N power engineer turned up today, and is trying to blame the new bathroom,a direct replacement of the old, I had a bit of a barny with the gas bloke, can't see how a new bathroom ( which was put in about 8 months ago) could cause this, anyone got any thoughts?

It will be the hot water thermister either silted up or faulty. N power chap just didnt fancy getting his pants wet as its cold today.

Ps we have a Plumber on hear now that seems like one of the better ones maybe he will give you better advice

It will be the hot water thermister either silted up or faulty. N power chap just didnt fancy getting his pants wet as its cold today.

Ps we have a Plumber on hear now that seems like one of the better ones maybe he will give you better advice
Thanks mate, thats what he came up with after I told him in no uncertain terms he was talking out of his backside when he said it was the new bathroom.

Has the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics only just recently arrived in your bathroom? :)

Does this combi only do the bath water? What about all your other hot taps?
I'm a bit mystified.
Bath, Kitchen sink ,washand basin and C/H

Is this just when running the bath ?
Or are other taps effected ?
Which boiler is it ?

Its not an issue with mixer tap is it?
Mains pressure on the cold side slightly less than mains on the hot side due to the restriction of the boiler. Could end up with the cold pressure holding back the hot if the mixer exit is restricted. Limescale or the like.
If thats the case individual taps will work fine only the mixer one shows the issue.
You can test by running the hot tap of tge mixer only to confirm good hot flow. Slowly turn on the cold bit by bit. Eventually you may find the water loses all hot flow and is just cold.

Or as mentioned the boiler could have a fault but if so every tap should show that.

Glowworm 30cxi running the bath and sinks

I know I may upset you by asking this but I do need to, when you say sinks, are we talking about the wash basin in the same room as the bath or the kitchen sink ? Does this happen at all draw offs ?

Have you tried leaving the tap running a while after its gone cold or do you turn it off ?

If you turn it off try running it for two min just to see if boiler fires again.
( does the boiler actually go out or does it modulate down and keep running )

That particular boiler only needs 1 litre per min of flow to operate the flow switch and I am presuming you have more than that from your taps.

I know I may upset you by asking this but I do need to, when you say sinks, are we talking about the wash basin in the same room as the bath or the kitchen sink ? Does this happen at all draw offs ?

Have you tried leaving the tap running a while after its gone cold or do you turn it off ?

If you turn it off try running it for two min just to see if boiler fires again.
( does the boiler actually go out or does it modulate down and keep running )

That particular boiler only needs 1 litre per min of flow to operate the flow switch and I am presuming you have more than that from your taps.

1 kitchen sink 1 wash hand basin and 1 bath hot water at all three outlets runs cold after about a minute

Got to be the boiler hasn't it?
Give it a bash with a big hammer. Unlikely to help but you'll feel better.

1 kitchen sink 1 wash hand basin and 1 bath hot water at all three outlets runs cold after about a minute

Definitely boiler I'd say. changeing bathroom shouldn't effect boiler, only if flow rate is lowered a lot but it would need to be so low you'd notice. I mean a trickle.

Get him back ( or someone who knows what they're doing ).
It should be pretty easy to check it out. There's only a few of things it could be really. ( presuming heating is ok that is).

Definitely boiler I'd say. changeing bathroom shouldn't effect boiler, only if flow rate is lowered a lot but it would need to be so low you'd notice. I mean a trickle.

Get him back ( or someone who knows what they're doing ).
It should be pretty easy to check it out. There's only a few of things it could be really. ( presuming heating is ok that is).
Thanks mate, I had the service company out, umed and ahed, Bathroom is the problem, dipstick, went away after ordering a thermistor and a pump FOC i hasten to add.

Thanks mate, I had the service company out, umed and ahed, Bathroom is the problem, dipstick, went away after ordering a thermistor and a pump FOC i hasten to add.
Heating is AOK

It can't be the pump. Pump does heating too. If it was thermistor, I'd expect it to be wrong temp e.g. To cool or to hot. Wouldn't normally fire, get hot and then go off and stay off. Sometimes if they are completely shot at, it might prevent it from firing altogether. That's my experience anyway. If I suspect one I normally ring tech line and they give different ohms readings at different temps as you probably know. Just to rule it out.

It can't be the pump. Pump does heating too. If it was thermistor, I'd expect it to be wrong temp e.g. To cool or to hot. Wouldn't normally fire, get hot and then go off and stay off. Sometimes if they are completely shot at, it might prevent it from firing altogether. That's my experience anyway. If I suspect one I normally ring tech line and they give different ohms readings at different temps as you probably know. Just to rule it out.
Thanks F14 is the code but it corrects itself if you turn the taps off

Reply to Combi Gas boiler in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock