Discuss Combi Gas boiler in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

We had this problem every couple of years with our combi boiler was to do with hard water area BG engineer had something fitted which is cleaned out on service. Do you loose heating as well

With the heating off run the bath tap and leave it running while you go to the boiler. is --- firing? if yes, put your hand on the pipes underneath. One of them will be hot. That pipe will be the heating flow. If it is you have either a blocked plate heat exchanger or diverter valve problem. If the boiler is not firing then it might be the dhw thermistor.............but it could be something else.

With the heating off run the bath tap and leave it running while you go to the boiler. is --- firing? if yes, put your hand on the pipes underneath. One of them will be hot. That pipe will be the heating flow. If it is you have either a blocked plate heat exchanger or diverter valve problem. If the boiler is not firing then it might be the dhw thermistor.............but it could be something else.
Well thanks for that

Update. Gas eng been changed thermister, pump, stumped eventually called Glowworm help line, heat exchanger blocked. £450 for replacement and £600 for a system flush, so gettin on for a grand for repairs to a 10 year old boiler, going for new boiler. I had the exchanger changed 2 years ago, sod paying that money every couple of years

Last edited:
Remember pete I said the thermistor was scaled up or faulty:p or the BULB needs changing:rolleyes:
The thermistor clips on to the pipework can't see how it could be scaled up, nackered maybe, thanks for the input anyway, oh by the way all the LAMPS were OK

You didn't think my imput was of much help but it seems I was was right and the guy you had out was a dick.
A grand to clean the plate :D I will do it for half that...................or maybe a lot less.
You can't clean these plates it's replace or go without, what makes you think I didn't think much of your input/ although my reply may have seemed as a sarky reply it wasn't meant that way

I will post a photo of one being cleaned in a moment.
Yes that's the jobby, well I stand corrected will go to the naughty step for the rest of the evening, just a question for you, how long will that exchanger last until it's next clean, I realise that depends on lots of variables, just a ball park idea,

Reply to Combi Gas boiler in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net