Discuss comercial premises can i work in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Chrishands

Hi somebody has asked me to do a job in a commercial premises. Can I legally do so without part p competent persons registration. Based on my quals . 2356 level 2+3. Test insp. Wiring regs. Thanks

Also what would you quote labour to run a new circuit. 40A shower circuit. 16m long. DB in the same room. Surface trunking in a salon.

Part P is for "Domestic Dwellings" so your answer is yes.

What type of work are you doing?

Part P is for "Domestic Dwellings" so your answer is yes.

What type of work are you doing?
Hi the work is

"Jan 2013

*Re: comercial premises can i work

Also what would you quote labour to run a new circuit. 40A shower circuit. 16m long. DB in the same room. Surface trunking in a salon"

Hi the work is

"Jan 2013

*Re: comercial premises can i work

^^^ If that is a link, it does not work. PM me if you need help with that.

Also what would you quote labour to run a new circuit. 40A shower circuit. 16m long. DB in the same room. Surface trunking in a salon"

Without putting any figures on this:-

Charge a full day rate (whatever you charge). You have already spent time quoting, designing the circuit, going to the wholesalers then you have to do the job. Full day rate for me even if the job it self only takes 4-5 hours with testing, invoicing + getting payment + the accounting side of things.

Add on top the cost of your materials and mileage and you should have a figure by now???

I would quote £300 btw if you can see this?

Think Paul tried to be of great help here. But you may need Part P if the Salon has a flat above it and they share a main supply.

Unless of course it has changed since I have been away and they have done away with the shared services in Part P now, better still have they not done away with Part P altogether

You are correct if they share a common metering supply it is notifiable under certain conditions of part p. Adding new shower supply would be notifiable under those conditions.

Thanks Ruston it has been a while since I had to worry about Part p***

I know a shower will be in a special location, but isn't adding a new circuit, even if it was in a hallway say Part P notifiable or have they changed that

You are right again , the provision of a new circuit is still notifiable.

any new circuit is notifiable under part pee. if the shower is above a sink for hair washing, then it's not a special location. however, RA needs to be done regarding wet hands etc.

any new circuit is notifiable under part pee. if the shower is above a sink for hair washing, then it's not a special location. however, RA needs to be done regarding wet hands etc.

Hi, why do i need to do a risk assessment personally for wet hands? surely this is the salon owners responsibility, obvioulsy i will provide a means of isolation through a pull chord, and ensure it meets BS7671, but why do i need to do a risk assessment? Thanks, chris

perhaps i phrased that badly. what i meant was that you should assess any risks and reduce them to a minimum. earthing and bonding being a major factor. RCD protection as well.

perhaps i phrased that badly. what i meant was that you should assess any risks and reduce them to a minimum. earthing and bonding being a major factor. RCD protection as well.

Makes sense now! Where do you stand with Public liability insurance, is this still a necessity in commercial and industrial applications or does the public liability of the premises owner apply? Also What validity do your test certs have with their insurers. Thanks

Makes sense now! Where do you stand with Public liability insurance, is this still a necessity in commercial and industrial applications or does the public liability of the premises owner apply? Also What validity do your test certs have with their insurers. Thanks

For an EICR some insurance companies insist on the NICE , some will accept them from the other schemes , and some from non scheme members. It just depends on the company.
With an EIC from a qualified electrician you should have no trouble.

you must have your own PL insurance to cover the work that you do. the premises owner's PL will cover his liability to you if, for example, you slipped on a wet floor that he'd wet.

Last time I renewed my PLI there was a definite distinction between their single phase cover and polyphase cover. They actually termed the difference low and high voltage which caused confusion for a while until we had clarified their definitions of both terms. Turns out I had only been covered for single phase work for the previous year by their fault.
It's worth a check and a double check is what I'm saying.

Last time I renewed my PLI there was a definite distinction between their single phase cover and polyphase cover. They actually termed the difference low and high voltage which caused confusion for a while until we had clarified their definitions of both terms. Turns out I had only been covered for single phase work for the previous year by their fault.
It's worth a check and a double check is what I'm saying.
that is sly of them considering low voltage is >1000v

you must have your own PL insurance to cover the work that you do. the premises owner's PL will cover his liability to you if, for example, you slipped on a wet floor that he'd wet.

I've tried quoting for a Public liability cover of £2million.

But there are a few glitches i need to clarify.

1. im going to sole trade and don't yet have a company name? but it asks for a company name, so how do i do that?
2. im not part p registered on a competent persons scheme yet so cant do domestic, if i selected cover to cover industrial domestic and commercial would this invalidate the insurance?
Found cover for about £90 a year

Reply to comercial premises can i work in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock