Discuss commerical and industrial railway systems in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

galvin

Hi I am working on railway electrical equipment high and low voltage. I am a plumber and demestic electrian i need to up my game. If someone could tell me where to get good info or book titles to help me maintain.

David

Worked for a few years as a signal technician on the railways all i can say it is a completely different ball game.

I don't know how you got on site, railway work was special training (even for a qualified spark) safety passport and exam, 2 days and induction 1/2 day, then permit to work knowledge even if a whistle man...but hey nowadays so long as you have part p, nuclear power stations are easy peasy

Quite a few years ago I used to work in the rail industry as a service engineer. Minimum was a PTS (Personal Track Safety - 2 Day course) to go trackside. On top of that numerous safety critical exams to be passed. Took over 2 years to be deemed competant in some areas of train maintenance. am pretty sure it is still the same now.....Used to pay well back then as well !!!

Hi I have been on railway five years pts , coss , picow , level c level b high voltage subs
pt 1&2 and testing inspection. Iam a plumber and gas safe,
trained in signal power supply signet , ups power supplies , sn&t signal equipment maintainer .
I wanted to know more about other high power supplies other then 33kv outside the railway , edf high voltage equipment .
very sorry for bothering you

Hi I have been on railway five years

Galvin, your original post couldn't be more different from your previous!
How would you respond if someone had posted that they were a plumber and domestic electrician but were working on HV railway systems and wanted a book on the subject?

I still question why you would work those systems for 5 years before looking for literature recommendations....

A plumber and a domestic electrician all in one wow... and now your working on the railway. Your possibly working with voltages of 11kv and you have been doing this for 5 years and now you seek advise on this stuff, I am very surprised you haven't blown yourself by now

For anyone interested in Railway history? PICOW and COSS mentioned in previous post. PICOW [Person In Charge of Work] was replaced by COSS [Controller of Site Safety] following Rule Book Change GO/RT 3000 in 1998 when Network Rail [Railtrack as it was then] made everything colorful and user friendly.

I worked on the Railway for 16 years - nearly over it now!

Reply to commerical and industrial railway systems in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock