Discuss Communal heating bonding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

ryan24

Hi all,
need to do main bonding in a flat that has none at the minute. It is on communal heating and the hot water has two entry points. Also the heating pipes enter the flat in numerous positions in the rooms and leave to feed other flats. My question is do all these need bonding? Thanks in advance (forgive me I'm still learning )

yes the reading is below 0.02. Going to be next to impossible to bond every single pipe as each room has two incoming pipes to supply each rad which feed upstairs and downstairs aswell etc.

Main bonding in multiple occupancy buildings can be complex, especially if the services are shared between the flats.
Ideally all extraneous conductive parts should be bonded within each property. Each property having an earth marshaling terminal that will connect back to the MET at origin.

In your case the situation is complicated by the heating arrangement, however it is relevant to consider if the part is capable of introducing a different potential into the flat. Because upper floor flats will not be connected to earth it is only the introduction of differing potentials from other flats that are of concern.

I would have though that it would be best to check the bonding of the heating system at origin and consider the continuity of the heating system and the maintenance arrangements for the flats.
If the heating system is metal pipework and is main bonded at origin and is electrically continuous and the maintenance is undertaken by a central agency such that it is very likely that the continuity would be maintained then in this case the heating bonding within the flat could be a direct connection to the existing heating system which would then be securely connected to the entire metallic pipework run.
Heating and hot water should both be bonded back to the flat MET.

Main bonding in multiple occupancy buildings can be complex, especially if the services are shared between the flats.
Ideally all extraneous conductive parts should be bonded within each property. Each property having an earth marshaling terminal that will connect back to the MET at origin.

In your case the situation is complicated by the heating arrangement, however it is relevant to consider if the part is capable of introducing a different potential into the flat. Because upper floor flats will not be connected to earth it is only the introduction of differing potentials from other flats that are of concern.

I would have though that it would be best to check the bonding of the heating system at origin and consider the continuity of the heating system and the maintenance arrangements for the flats.
If the heating system is metal pipework and is main bonded at origin and is electrically continuous and the maintenance is undertaken by a central agency such that it is very likely that the continuity would be maintained then in this case the heating bonding within the flat could be a direct connection to the existing heating system which would then be securely connected to the entire metallic pipework run.
Heating and hot water should both be bonded back to the flat MET.

If there is only one DNO supply and one gas supply into the building and this was bonded back to MET via a suiable csa conductor within 600mm of entering building/isolator then i see no need to bond at each flat, (but would do no harm)

heating and hot water pipes would only give potential earth path via the boilers metalic incoming gas pipe or water pipe.

It is the maintenance of an equipotential zone within the flat and the prevention of fault voltage from another flat appearing in this flat that become of concern rather than the introduction of earth potential into the flat.
I would tend to agree with you regarding the bonding but the regulations and guidance note 8 do not agree.

Reply to Communal heating bonding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock