Discuss Community Group considereing PV Solar in the Solar Thermal Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

amigo4lavida

We are a Community Group at the moment getting quotations for a 9.9Kwp installation. We have a 3 phase electrical supply; does this create any more challenges than single phase installations? and if so should we be checking on the overall electrical competency of the companies tendering. Another problem is the choice of panels, Sharps, Kioto and Romag and a cheaper Chinese company whose name escapes me at the moment, there appears to be no consistent view at to what is the best or which company will still be around if things go wrong.
This is a big ticket call for us which if it goes wrong could be disastrous, but if successful a great source of income.
A4l

System:
You would probably be better off having three seperate 3.3 kW systems, one on each phase.

Installer :
You should ask around and see some previous installs and get other customer feedback.
Do not use anyone using you as an inspection project ...we have removed two of these as appalling!

Use an established registered electrician not a new ECO start up company as after the PV bubble bursts your registered electrician will still be trading and maintaining his relationships with his long established customer base. Also most registered electricians will know about three phase.
You can find your nearest installer here: The Microgeneration Certification Scheme

MCS PV registration has been around since April 2010.
We had our second inspection last week which was the end of our first PV year with over 60 installations. We had three minor non conformances - all paperwork related and all cleared on the day. This was three non coms for three technologies!
Find out how many projects your installers have done and how long they have been doing it. Dont be fooled by a flash website, ask for contact details of customers.

As an example we have a new PV expert started near us but they have only done the directors home and had two of our installation photos on their website until our solicitor wrote to them.

Modules:
We wouldn`t install any of the makes you mention.
IMO Sharp are poor and have delivery issues and Welsh fields full of returns which does not inspire a lot of confidence.
Try to get hold of the OKO test report which case studied 17 modules.
Kioto, Romag and some Chinese products are IMO only fit for lining a skip. They are however a lot cheaper.

For efficiency Sanyo is the market leader.
SANYO :: Solar :: Product Comparison

SANYO Component Europe GmbH - Sanyo Solar Photovoltaics-Europe: Home - Higher efficiency

For product strength which may be an issue on a community hall roof I would use Schott modules.

basically you get what you pay for, inverters from Germany, Holland and Austria are far better than the others and will still be around to honour the warranties.

Common sense says that not all of these start up PV equipment manufacturers in China will still be around in 25 years.
use the internet ...research is everything .
Good luck

Some good info here : Find & Compare Renewable Energy Installers, Suppliers and information on eco energy suppliers for Green Energy | Microgeneration, Renewable energy wind turbines , micro hydroelectric, Blog , info and Reviews | YouGen, Renewable Energy Made Easy

Looks like sound advice, but why do you recommend 3 separate systems for that size of installation when a single SMA tripower inverter will do it very efficiently and significantly more cost effectively?

Regards
Bruce

Looks like sound advice, but why do you recommend 3 separate systems for that size of installation when a single SMA tripower inverter will do it very efficiently and significantly more cost effectively?

Regards
Bruce
I was thinking the same but with a fronious IG PLUS 120 .
Not saying you are wrong but just wondering ?

I'd agree with pretty much everything that MCS Ren has said apart from his opinions on panels. The Sanyo panels are indeed the market leader in our opinion, but this is often out of some customers budget - particularly on a 9.9kWp project.

However, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Chinese manufacturers. Some of them have impressive performances statistics and outperform Romag and Sharp comfortably.

As for the likelihood of companies being around in 25 years time to honour your guarantee, this is a gamble. I think it would be very naive to assume that a British company is more likely to be around than a Chinese company, however. If this is your concern then it would be worth considering a company that isn't just solely trading in Solar technology. Sharp and Sanyo would definitely tick the boxes in this regard.

If you are concerned about the aesthetics of the building then this could also influence your choice of panel. Some panels have a black appearance (Romag and Sanyo) which looks better on some roofs while others have a much bluer appearance which may well put some people off.

Compare the SAP figures of all the contractors that have priced system for you. They should all be the same. If they're not, question the companies about how they got their figures.

Hope this helps.

Not really. They're just cheap. I see Sharp 185 panels suggested more than any other panel for this very reason. The 180 and the 185 panels are the cheapest that Sharp offer.

Just got planning permission for 40 Sanyo HIT installation hidden away on a rear roof. Contractor to start 9th August.
BTW tried to get funding via energyshare but it is a 'bit of a joke'
Thanks for all the advice and info I have gleaned from this site
Here's hoping I won't be back with any problems :)

Regards
A4l

Interesting what you boys say about Sharps. I've not installed them but notice they're the most common. Are they really as bad as I'm hearing/reading?

We stopped installing them because supply became a real issue and there are loads of other panels that will generate better yield BUT we have Sharp 180's installed on our own roof and they are generating really well.

We are are mainly agricultural based and have now moved over from Sharp to Schott for their ammonia rating .
The main reason we started to look elsewhere was originally due to the horrendous supply issues with Sharp .
On the plus side , the Shott are visibly a superior product in our view now !

Sharp frames flex when installed (we know this as our clients insist we install them despite our best advice!).
Any community projects funded by Energyshare must be installed by British Gas who fund the scheme.
With regard 25 year warrantys - even if the company is around will they be able to pay out?
IMO a 25 year warranty means the manufacturer is very confident that the panel will last more than 25 years but don't expect it to be replaced under warranty if there is a problem.
Sharp are popular because it is a household name with '50 years experience' and 'made in Britain' (assembled in Wales - I assume cells from Asia)
Made in China or Britain does not mean anything; there is some real junk made in Britain and some good stuff made in China (and vice-versa)

Hello again Guys

Our Installation is to take place next week.

What bits of paper should we be in possession of before we hand over the balance?

TIA
A4L

Hi,

The actual hand over manuel, to include, MCS cert, Test results, warrenty info, G83 notification, schematics, operation instructions - there is more but there the main ones.

I'm just wondering why the using of Sharp panels is that common? Based on their phisical and electrical parameters we can not say that the Sharp products are classified as "high street" . I have run hundreds of PV simulations for various locations and different meteo data (using PVsyst) and always output from Sharp panels were much lower then outpout from German brands,Sanyo and most of the Chineese brands modules. In my opinion, the quality of Sharp modules is not greater than other recommended brands,such as Sanyo, Schucco ex..,but the fact that company exists on the marker since 1950s and location of manufacturing plant in Wrexham put Sharp in very strong position in the UK market.

Reply to Community Group considereing PV Solar in the Solar Thermal Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net