Discuss CompEx renewal help please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Afternoon everybody, I'm about to start my CompEx renewal tomorrow and was hoping someone could advise me on the minimum glanding requirements for Ex d,e and n. The main reason for asking is that you have to use the minimum requirements on the course, whereas that isn't something we do on the sites we work on.
Thanks in advance.

Ex d no earth tag or ip washer
Ex e >6mm threaded no ip
Ex e <6mm threaded ip washer
Ex e clearance hole ip earth tag lock nut etc
Use correct gland type for cable etc.

Where abouts are you doing it?

My refresher is next week but not too worried because work with the kit everyday.

Hi Timbo, thanks for the help, it looks like you deal with it all the time judging by your profile pic! Were doing it at the Catch facility near Grimsby, decent set up and local to the industry around there. Out of interest, where do you work? We don't deal with CompEx all the time, just when jobs dictate it, so it's not as fresh as it could be in my mind to be honest. I feel sorry for the lad on the refresher with me, he hasn't needed it once since we sat the original course.

Profile pic is from an fpso in Nigeria around 2013.

I am working in a refined product terminal so lots of tanks full of petrol and the like along with all the ex kit.

Never heard of that centre in Grimsby. I've got mine booked in for Falkirk.

That's just up the road from me.

I did my most recent one at HOTA in Hull. 100% failure rate, joke of a place now.

Hi a newbie here
not sure this is the correct thread.
I recently failed COMPEX 1-4 on the IS practical and the EX d inspections.

I know i messed up the EX-02 inspections didn't check for barrier in gland (thought about when i walked out stupid),
but i am really struggling to understand what i did wrong on the IS practical

any guidance for re-sits i.e.
how many faults are you expected to find? i seemed to find lots on the rig set up previously.
also the IS practical any guidance? last time i followed the diagram, picked up on a couple of problems before i started and left the earths (insulated) floating in the HAZ area, not really sure how i messed this up.

thanks

The key to IS, follow the drawing exactly even if it goes against what you think or know is correct.

Re sit it ASAP

Read your notes again and again, do the mock tests again if you have them.

It's a pig, good luck.

I did my refresher at CATCH not long after they opened and they were very by the book. I did the refresher before that at HOTA and I've done one at ASET in aberdeen they were a bit more realistic allowing you to use a tool box guide in exams etc.

I only went there because HOTA in hull had there licence revoked due to themletting people cheat.

Reply to CompEx renewal help please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net