Discuss compulsory E.I.C's for domestic properties? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good afternoon all hope all is well, just a quick question to everyone and to get some feedback. How many agree that all domestic properties should have to have a 20% test done each year to comply with building insurance and make homes much safer? All thoughts welcome please gents and ladies!

Good afternoon all hope all is well, just a quick question to everyone and to get some feedback. How many agree that all domestic properties should have to have a 20% test done each year to comply with building insurance and make homes much safer? All thoughts welcome please gents and ladies!

Not each year no that is way overboard IMHO !!!!!

I personally think that if the Electrical Trainee's were not allowed to train for 17 days and then immediately be allowed to work on domestic properties, then there would be no need or reason to test a property annually.

It would open the doors to all sorts half the EICR's done these days are not worth the paper its written on , making homes safer is great , but wouldn't work sadly there are to may dodgy inspections taking place now to make any difference , there is no requirement to comply with building insurance up to the individual companies to ask for an EICR

It's a ridiculous idea, where did you dream that one up?
However, it is only a matter of time before someone in the (parasite) insurance industry cottons on to the clause in every home insurance policy about keeping the property in good order through proper maintenance and uses it as a get out of paying a claim excuse.
We will then witness a scramble as all insurers make regular EICRs a stipulated condition, this will be closely followed by a race to the bottom as idiotic people undercut each other in the hope of cornering their local market in them. Following this will be a massive upsurge in drive by reporting with every property being given a clean bill of health.
RIP domestic electrical trade, it was **** poor to start with, then got worse.

I'm interested in safety Tony but I know where your coming from, other people would jump on the band wagon and rip people off and I also agree there are a lot of reports out there not worth the paper there written on but how can we stop it? Every scheme they bring in costs the pro electrician money causing people to opt for cowboys to carry out work as it's cheaper so how do these part P schemes etc suppose to deter bad workmanship? In my eyes it's made it worse!

A former member came up with this idea a while back, it was stupid then and it still is. Next you'll be calling for compulsory RCDs.
This will not improve safety one iota as it will result in what I described above.

So somebody house has just been rewired has all test certs showing satisfactory results and everything is 17th edition and tip top condition........... you would advise them that they should have a 20 percent test done a year from when it was installed ?????
Annoys me this because if say my nan who lives alone took your advice and you fleeced her unnecessarily i would be hunting you down !!!

Dazza 1981 I've not given any advice the only reason I brought it up is because a friend of mine is in insurance and he was telling me they didn't pay out on a claim because the electrical install was below standards and no test certs etc could be provided to prove they were okay! So I was asking the question what people thought about it, what might become compulsory in the very near future

I think its a smashing idea, say some form of Condition Report every five years mandatory or risk the wrath of the insurance man. Unsatisfactory result incurs a higher insurance premium, satisfactory results in a lower one. Its gonna happen eventually.

I think its a smashing idea, say some form of Condition Report every five years mandatory or risk the wrath of the insurance man. Unsatisfactory result incurs a higher insurance premium, satisfactory results in a lower one. Its gonna happen eventually.

would love it who would police it no one then you will also get an increase in employment agents ringing up for 6 EICR's to be done in a day and it would be bodge it brigade that do it
and potentially miss some thing ,for example EICR done last year In a shower walls cladded nail cuts earth in half yet the EICR was satisfactory

would love it who would police it no one then you will also get an increase in employment agents ringing up for 6 EICR's to be done in a day and it would be bodge it brigade that do it
and potentially miss some thing ,for example EICR done last year In a shower walls cladded nail cuts earth in half yet the EICR was satisfactory

that is because all these people test to the isolator not at the fitting so there not worth the paper they are written on.

I'm interested in safety

This is heading to the thin end of the wedge where does it end an EICR, gas check how about we throw in a roof check to make sure a tile doesn't fall on someone all done annually. Exactly how interested in safety are you or is my tongue in cheek idea over the top with all the checks the insurance premium would have to be next to nothing for all the expense incurred

Why not. You have to pay for an MOT

An MOT costs me less than £30 and it's currently under consideration by the government to shift to an MOT every 2 years what would a annual 20% EICR cost.

A dodgy vehicle has the ability to kill a lot of people in one incident so you can't use this as an example IMO

Reply to compulsory E.I.C's for domestic properties? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net