Discuss compulsory E.I.C's for domestic properties? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Computer manufacturers tried that in the late 80s. It went to court and it was deemed an unfair trading practice.

I guess they had different reasons for putting them there.

I don't want to stop anyone else from opening it, I just want to know if someone has been in there if I get called back for any reason.

I guess they had different reasons for putting them there.

I don't want to stop anyone else from opening it, I just want to know if someone has been in there if I get called back for any reason.

Recently I opened up a board I'd installed.
The words out of my mouth were something like
" Good golly and gosh, what is this I see before me?
The probability that this addition was by me is quite small.
Which one of you fine woodworking gentlemen has been expanding your horizons?
Ahh 'twas you good sir.
Could I please ask you to refrain from such activities in future?"

Or something like that anyway :D

Anything involving insurance companies and "discounts" is bound to end up in a rip off! I can't wait 'till next year when I hit 50,my car insurance is £500 a year I've never made a claim and it's just a rip off yet there are loads saying save 80% for drivers over 50,some chance,same with part P when it first came out they said all sorts had to be done by a part P electrician and have paperwork to state this yet nobody went around counting the fittings in every house did they?so long as you have an EICR if you sell the property then fine.Certificates are all well and good if they are done properly,we had our council house done earlier this year and no way was it done properly,it took about 30 minutes,he took off no fronts from anything didn't check the bonding in fact he did very little,despite clear evidence that alterations had been done since the last inspection.I am all for safety but things have to be done for reasons of safety not just as an excuse to make money or use as a get out clause.Insurance companies are well known for using any little thing to get out of not paying,for example did you know that if you fit alloy wheels to your vehicle and don't tell them then they can and will refuse to pay out in the event of a claim,It happened to someone I know.

Weren't they on there when you bought the vehicle?:smiley2:

Weren't they on there when you bought the vehicle?:smiley2:

If they aren't on the original build spec which the manufacturer will have on file and referenced to the VIN number then it won't matter whether they were on there when you bought it or not, they will try to use it to wriggle out of a claim.

I was thinking of something with about an inch tyre wall, surely that won't need to be reinforced?

The height of the tyre wall has nothing to do with it, I don't know what van you drive but the limiting factor on tyre choice is down to it's load rating and the carrying capacity of the vehicle

I would imagine a van on very low profile tyres with any load in would give an awful ride quality

I'll bear that in mind when I put low profiles on the van. What about spinners?

Now you are opening up another can of worms over the load rating of tyres and whether they need to be reinforced van tyres

The height of the tyre wall has nothing to do with it, I don't know what van you drive but the limiting factor on tyre choice is down to it's load rating and the carrying capacity of the vehicle

I would imagine a van on very low profile tyres with any load in would give an awful ride quality

Sorry bud, I'm not putting low profiles or spinners on my van it was a poor attempt at humour. I would have thought though, that the tyre wall size would have alot to do with its load carrying capacity. As I see it, (may be wrong) short lengths of materials are able to withstand a greater force before flexing or buckling than a longer length

Sorry about the 'legal' law remark.
I recently had a convocation with someone at work, and it appeared to be their favourite saying.
I didn't bother asking them what other kind of laws there are.

Reply to compulsory E.I.C's for domestic properties? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net