Discuss concealed cables to D.B. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All..

Situation: Full rewire of a house, The distribution board is located in the garrage on the adjacent wall back to back with the house.. The roof level of the garage is below the ceiling of the joists so can't break threw at high level

It's my intention to run the cables down/up the internal wall and punch threw into the back of the garage D.B..

Question: The cables are not in ' permitted cable routes' as per the regs fig 3 (150mm ruling) .. I was going to sink the cables and plate over with one 3/4mm Steel and earth it as a means of mechanical protection..

all circuit RCD protected..

Doing the above I must meet the requirement below:

522.6.6 A cable concealed in a wall or partition at a depth of less than 50 mm from a surface of the wall or partition shall: (i) incorporate an earthed metallic covering which complies with the requirements of these
be mechanically protected against damage sufficient to prevent penetration of the cable by nails, screws and the like,

Any thoughts ??

Jon

Do the cables need to be buried? I would bet the distance you talking about isn't far. One solution would be to put some PVC trunking in to where you need to punch through, not an ideal method but less hassle and you use some decent trunking finishing it off with an end cap, just a thought.

Nothing wrong with covering the cables with 3/4mm steel plate.
There is no requirement for the steel plate to be earthed.

Do the cables need to be buried? I would bet the distance you talking about isn't far. One solution would be to put some PVC trunking in to where you need to punch through, not an ideal method but less hassle and you use some decent trunking finishing it off with an end cap, just a thought.

Thanks for your reply..trunking is not an option as it's in the main hallway adjacent to the door

Or put the CU somewhere else :). As an aside, never like em in garages, going out in the middle of the night tripping over things to reset the flipping rcd.

PS would you plaster over the steel plate?

spinlondon is correct re no need to earth a steel protective plate. wilko's idea is genius.

Or put the CU somewhere else :). As an aside, never like em in garages, going out in the middle of the night tripping over things to reset the flipping rcd.

PS would you plaster over the steel plate?

Yes- skim finished..I agree about putting not putting them in garage..I was thinking of installing an EM light put that opens another box of worms!!!

possibly find the existing cables enter the cavity and go up a couple of feet then come out under floor. if so, they could be used as draw wires.

Reply to concealed cables to D.B. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock