Discuss Conduit ends with grommet in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mike001

I did a PIR and noted that a T/E cable enters a 20mm steel conduit without a grommet to protect against the sharp inner edge. I now have the job of rectifying it and I can't find where to buy the grommets! Any one know?

Not threaded and rough! (Amateur)
You also get these situations in lofts on old houses, where the conduits down to the switches stand up a few inches with worn rubber grommets and knife edge cutting into the cable.

problem is if he can't get the cable out. if not, just have to pack something around the cable to stop chafing

Another Blue Peter moment....if you cant get cable out!!!!!!....was in a home brew shop years ago and they sold tapered rubber bungs for sticking in bottles. They had a hole right thru it for sticking pipes thru etc......get some of those for the tool box....slit it with a stanley knife...wrap round the cable the whack it into conduit top.............I also do a mean Tracy Island!!!!!!!!!!!!!...............this is a joke by the way!!!!

Havn't seen the conduit end ones anywhere (like you get on old switch drops in loft).Have you tried flea bay,loads of different rubber grommets there.Probably have to get something that looks the part,slice it open,round the pipe and wack it in.

Would a brass male bush not be the 'correct' thing to use?
Of course it's a bit late now if you can't get the cables back out.
Grommet strip? T&E insulation? Tape?

Just had a job were the outer sheath had been cut back so to get moor cables down the old tin tube great reading on me insulation tester 2 cables had damaged insulation them. What code will this be on a pir be

code 1, IMO. if it's the tube isn't earthed, then you will be getting "live " walls. not good.

clear pve pipe cut a length 50mm .slice end to end then you can slip round the cable stick a bit of tape round then slide down the pipe and secure with tap job done

or pack a bit of blu-tak in.

Thing is,your rewiring an old house with 'tin whistle' conduit drops to the light switch's and what you going to do ?
Well i know what i'd do.And how many people are going to earth bond that conduit ?

I am led to believe the regs are in for a revision in June/July and they may rescind the need for rcd's if the cables not 50mm in walls or protected,so word is they may be backtracking on that requirement.

And guess what.We are all going to have to buy a new book and also a new 'on site guide' so there gioes another £60/70 quid.

Last edited by a moderator:
The glands that you get for some of that cheap flexible conduit are actually split which you could put over the cable then attach to the conduit.

Reply to Conduit ends with grommet in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock