Discuss Conduit in Summer House - Aesthetics Photos Required in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

rolyberkin

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Has anyone got any photos of installs they have done in non insulated or non plasterboard finished garden log cabins summer houses?

I am purely interested in the aesthetics I am after examples in white plastic, black plastic, galv conduit and MI if anyone can help? I am about to wire a summer house for a friend (under the supervision of a fully qualified electrician I hasten to add!) and she is unsure as to what it would look like, foolishly and as she is a close friend I have told her there are different options!?:)

The install will hence all be surface mount.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help!

Last edited:
I'm going to be wiring up a large summed house / cabin / shed thing in a week or so, that will all be surface mount.

Its quite easy doing it all on the surface to be honest, use good quality PVC back boxes too like the MK conduit entry boxes as they are much stronger.

Or a half decent electrician would know how to conceal the wiring at building stage.

That makes me a bad electrician then because I haven't yet come up with a suitable way to conceal cables in those solid wood walls on the buildings of this nature that I have wired.

Care to share with us how you do it?

The summer house the op is to wire is log , it is not difficult to align logs and drill at building stage .

anything else than cheapo white trunking/conduit.
box up the cables with some battens or plywood and use metal-clad accesories may be one option.

The summer house the op is to wire is log , it is not difficult to align logs and drill at building stage .

Or a half decent electrician would know how to conceal the wiring at building stage.

You obviously have one of those crystal balls, used by all 'decent' electricians!

Personally as the building is already erected I didn't consider your suggestion an option, however I still wouldn't want to be there at building stage to drill each log, nor do I personally think it is safe to bury a cable in a 70mm thick wooden external wall even though it may be permissible under 7.3.2, but hey ho each to his own!

You obviously have one of those crystal balls, used by all 'decent' electricians!

Personally as the building is already erected I didn't consider your suggestion an option, however I still wouldn't want to be there at building stage to drill each log, nor do I personally think it is safe to bury a cable in a 70mm thick wooden external wall even though it may be permissible under 7.3.2, but hey ho each to his own!

Is it any different from putting it down studding?

I wasn't meaning to be sarcastic , I didn't read your profile and see you were a trainee. I though you were 'helping a friend under the supervision......' . we get a lot of that on here.

Is it any different from putting it down studding?

I wasn't meaning to be sarcastic , I didn't read your profile and see you were a trainee. I though you were 'helping a friend under the supervision......' . we get a lot of that on here.

No problems :) I do see your point re studding but that is normally internal and 100mm minimum, my first plan was going to put it all external in plastic and drill through the walls but the person who will be supervising me was not happy due to possible water ingress and rodents? I can see that it is permissible to drill into the logs and at construction stage may have been an option, I just think that giving a bit of room for contraction and expansion by drilling at 20mm the centre point would only be 25mm deep from either side, although in a safe zone being an external wall where someone may not have access to the building to check said zones prior to drilling, I think I would be prefer it to be surface mounted and have some form of physical protection?

i'd be inclined to cable it on the outside in black pvc conduit and tube through the logs directly into fittings.

Reply to Conduit in Summer House - Aesthetics Photos Required in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net