Discuss Confused by the Qualified Supervisor routes for the various schemes in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Gavin Hyde

Hello

I have recently done a few courses, funding by the training allowance when i left the forces, mainly so i can do the odd non-notifiable job within the house and for family but principally within the house i am renovating and to keep the mind ticking over. It seemed a waste to not use the grant as there was nothing else i fancied doing.

When I rewired the house and added a new circuit to the Consumer Unit for the new shower, I had to pay close to £400+VAT to have Building Regs give it the all clear!!! I am thinking that it might be beneficial for me to join one of the schemes that appear nothing more than money making schemes so i can self certify.

I am slowly moving into property developing as I inherited the house I am doing up with my sister and will use the profits to do further property up. I am not looking to work for others but it would be good to have the option to do jobs in between my own work.

I have a good grounding in electrical/mechanical processes having been in a techie in the forces for several years.

I have seen that there are course bundles out there that seem to imply that you can join one of the Part P competent Persons Schemes as a Domestic Installer having completed them and as the Qualified Supervisor rules state you need one of a myriad of Level 3 Qualifications they are offering a NIC-EIC/Elecsa - Online Knowledge Assessment (OKA) in lieu of the Level 3 qualifications - this is supposedly a route to qualified supervisor status! . It implies that with the certificates they provide in these bundles, followed by the OKA and subject to being able to meet the other requirements at the assessments (1 minor, 1 major work etc...) you can join the CP part P schemes.

I have all the qualifications that these bundles offer plus a considerable number of avionics qualifications and electrical qualifications but within the aviation environment. Not quite the same but still a better grounding than some of the people i see running about doing iffy work and a shiny NIC-EIC sticker!!

Has anybody an opinion on this OKA or used it instead of the Level 3 qualifications??

Joining one of these schemes does seem a bit difficult for those starting out in the field, as you have to be a Qualified Supervisor but that generally requires a couple of years experience. I am aware of several guys locally that have some how got on one of these schemes who i personally wouldn't trust to change a plug let alone a consumer unit.

Welcome your thoughts on the OKA and joinig NIC, elecsa etc... when starting out

as i see it, if i not missed anything.all you need is to do the 2382, wiring regs, then enroll with a scam ( niceic, elecsa, napit, etc.)

It seems according to the NIC-EIC info you should have a level 3 qualification of some sort to join. However these can take some time to achieve, most require a degree of experience.
Route 4 on the nice sales leaflet from the NIC-EIC says certificates that show the same knowledge suffice??
The OKA it seems has been developed by them to show the technical equivalent knowledge to get around the 2013 rule changes. They can then sign you up after an assessment on kit, minor major jobs etc...
Do you have auditable evidence (eg: certificates of competence) that reflect thelearning outcomes identified in the Level 3 Certificate in Installing, Testing andEnsuring Compliance of Electrical Installation Work in Dwellings, based on theNational Occupational Standards (NOS)?

Basically Gavin, they change the entry requirements now and then to say you need to be an actual electrician to join their schemes. This temporarily appeases their existing victims / members. Then they create another course they can charge £££'s for to get around the new requirement they themselves implemented. Quite clever really.

NIC-EIC sticker

I think i have one of them if you want it.. NOTE not all people who say they are NICEIC are

I think i am the "
qualified supervisor" and that was just from my qualifcations side (see my spelling sucks and i forget some of the things i filled in)
all i have is Electrician Installations 2330 level 2 and 3 .. 17th Edition ..
was told when i did them all i was good for kitchen fitting.. and to do the 2394/5
so i did that and now they say you dont need it!! £1000 cost to me :) oh joys

But i was wondering about doing the 2393-10 Part P as i dont seem to be on a Competent Persons List (still having trouble spelling competent) but i am a Domestic Installer with NICEIC, the course seems bit easy, open book 40 questions in 2hr.

https://electropassltd.co.uk/

Just emailed them asking why should i do this, what do i gain or could gain.
guess its a course on how to read the book a bit like the 17th edition one is really.

Wondering if you got Electrician to put One socket Ring at the CU Circuit and one Light on its own circuit. Paid for that and then Added on to it yourself. That would get the Paper work, tho the values aint correct by the end of it all.

Having spoken to a very helpful lady called suzanne at Elecsa, it does in deed seem that after doing a few days of courses, the OKA assessment in lieu of a proper Level 3 qualification, they will after an assessment of one notifiable job in your own home give you a shiny piece of paper letting you loose on anybodys home!!!
she did actually say so long as you got 17th edition and the OKA , they are quote 'flexible' on the exact qualifications needed!!! (SCARY!!!)
It scares me that you have people without a clue running around working on peoples houses. you wouldn't let a stranger work on your gas fire after 21 days of training, so why let them work on your house electrics??
I have a electrical mechanical background from HM forces and intend to work on my own projects, but I am surprised it is so easy to get this Part P competent persons badge- i am now seeing it as nothing but a money making scheme by people in suits...

Reply to Confused by the Qualified Supervisor routes for the various schemes in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock