Discuss Confused Please Help!! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mattmoo1974

Ok iv just finished my 2330 level 2
Iv just passed my 17th and my part P
i just went in and had my last "chat" with the lecture
I asked him if i join Napit niceic etc etc. Could i got and work for myself
My plan was to run a little ad and do small odd jobs while i do my level 3 next year.Nothing big,moving sockets, extra lights poss,wiring showers, i work for a Kitchen fitter very part time and hes said i can do some work for him Ie Ring mains,SFCU etc etc
I asked my lecture if i was allowed to change CCU's.
As iv also been asked to do some garden lighting/Power to sheds.
And some of these have nt got a spare way and the CCU is well out of date.
My lecture has said that i cant change CCU's on level 2? he said id have to ask Napit or who ever i go with?
Can any 1 shed some light on the matter, Every time i ask my lecture what i can and cant do, He flys of in a different direction and i never get a straight answer.

I belive (but you will havew to chacek with whichever scheme provider you choose) that to join you will need NVQ 3 or equivilant. The equivilant usually means going on one of there courses, but again you should check with the scheme provider as to exactly what they will let you do with the qualifications you currently hold.

You can join(Napit) with part P and Regs as that is aimed at Kitchen fitters/plumbers who just do minor works.Ie move a socket/add a spur to a ring. Seems a Very gray area, i know they are changing the quailfycations about and this is the last year you can do Level3 with Nvq3,Then it changes to a 3 yr Course. It seems like iv done my level 2 and i can only do the same as a Part P Qual Person. Begs the question why even bother? im by Know means the cleverest in the class(please incert Jokes) but i did ok.
There are plenty in there that will never go onto do level 3, Does this mean they ve wasted a year doing level 2 if you can only do the same as a Part P person? iv tryed ringing Napit but the young lady on the end of the phone isnt that clued up on the ins and outs of this.

Ok iv just finished my 2330 level 2
Iv just passed my 17th and my part P

you have no partp until you have joined, paid fees and been assessed by a competent persons scheme, so this is your next step along with getting calibrated test equipment , public liability and required publications before membership is accepted.

also unlike matmoo opinion you can join a scheme under full scope with level 2 as long as you are competent but until you achieve Nvq3 you will never be classed (on paper) as fully qualified.

Last edited by a moderator:
you have no partp until you have joined, paid fees and been assessed by a competent persons scheme, so this is your next step along with getting calibrated test equipment , public liability and required publications before membership is accepted.
I agree ezzekiel.
Iv been quoted for all of the above. All i need to do is pay
Iv got meter(calibrated) tools etc all i have to do is pay fee(assesment), My question is "what work can i and cant i do",I dont want to pay out £1000+ to find out im very limited in the work i can carry out.
Iv got a few jobs in the pipeline, Some of these look like i will new to change the Ccu. "Rewirable fuses"
No RCD protection.

as you have 2330 level 2 and 17th (assume by partp you mean some form of di qual) then you are eligible to join a scheme as full scope member at a cost of approx £400 per year.

if napit for example required further proof you would sit a 2 day test thats free - providing you know your stuff then not a problem
and can carry out any work you deem yourself to be competent in.

also pi insurance cheapest about £50

as you have 2330 level 2 and 17th (assume by partp you mean some other qual) then you are eligible to join a scheme as full scope member at a cost of approx £400 per year.

and can carry out any work you deem yourself to be competent in.

also pi insurance cheapest about £50
Many thanks mate
Every 1 should have Part P of the building Regs(Dont quote me) its a yr course on where you can do Chases/Depth in joists/width/Where to run cables etc etc ,it was brought in 2005.
My lecture told me i had to do this before i could do domestic, Its also aimed at kitchen fitters etc etc Scope B on Niceic webby, you cant change CCu's on scope B,But i have 2330 level 2 :S
Allevery confusing and very hard to get a straight answer
Think i ll try and ring NicEic tomoz and see what they say on the matter.

unfortunately its a mish mash sytem with unqualified people doing short courses and being classed as electricians, partp is a joke and doing the opposite to what it was supposed to do.

you need to be classed as full scope, however you are only part qualified so if things were run correctly you would only be allowed defined scope, but they are not and you should be fine with your quals. Napit run there own one week course which allows full scope so im sure your level2 is way higher

unfortunately its a mish mash sytem with unqualified people doing short courses and being classed as electricians, partp is a joke and doing the opposite to what it was supposed to do.

you need to be classed as full scope, however you are only part qualified so if things were run correctly you would only be allowed defined scope, but they are not and you should be fine with your quals. Napit run there own one week course which allows full scope so im sure your level 2 is way higher

Thanks again mate
And your so right, On my Part P course there are alot of builders that Moan about sparkys charging to much quote "£150 to wire a shower Robbing Bstard". they dont realise there not allowed to put in new circuits under part P(Just checked Napit and you can :S). Its opened the flood gates for them to just go around wiring any thing they like.
I can join Napit without my Inspect and test Qual as long as i do it within the next 12 months? LOL

there is no requirement to hold 2391, only qual you need to achieve is 2382 within first 12 months of membership.

I cant understand why you would do a partp course? if you hold 2330 level2 then go straight onto level 3 ,
with that along with 17th edition is the highest a lot of most working sparks hold.

there is no requirement to hold 2391, only qual you need to achieve is 2382 within first 12 months of membership.

I cant understand why you would do a partp course? if you hold 2330 level2 then go straight onto level 3 ,
with that along with 17th edition is the highest a lot of most working sparks hold.
You have to hold that qual be able to join Napit etc etc So i can self cert my work or i have to get building control to test it for me. Part P with no electrical Qual i can do is Defined Scope Scheme.
Because i have a electrical Qual i can join full scope.
All very confusing.

You have to hold that qual be able to join Napit etc etc So i can self cert my work or i have to get building control to test it for me. Part P with no electrical Qual i can do is Defined Scope Scheme.
Because i have a electrical Qual i can join full scope.
All very confusing.

you are confused dear boy PART P IS NOT A QUALIFICATION you can do this course INSTEAD of an electrical course to do basic part p notifiable work YOU DO NOT need it as well as an elec qual.

it is aimed at builders, fitters etc so they can go round bodging up peoples electric perfectly legally yeee haaa

read this sir durham has explained it all
http://www.electriciansforums.net/electrical-forum-general-electrical-forum/18609-part-p.html

you do not have to hold 2391 to join a scheme, if you did there would be a hell of a lot less people members of schemes as 2391 is a tough exam mostly taken by fully qualified experienced electricians.

The lowest qual to join is Di (partp course) which a lot are not recognised by scheme providers as full scope so check first.

2330 level2 is a industry standard qualification

2382 is required within first 12 months of membership

you are confused dear boy PART P IS NOT A QUALIFICATION you can do this course INSTEAD of an electrical course to do basic part p notifiable work YOU DO NOT need it as well as an elec qual.

it is aimed at builders, fitters etc so they can go round bodging up peoples electric perfectly legally yeee haaa

read this sir durham has explained it all
http://www.electriciansforums.net/electrical-forum-general-electrical-forum/18609-part-p.html

My lecture is a **** and iv wasted 2 hrs every thursday evening for the last yr :( SNIFF SNIFF
TBH 2330 level 2 teaches you the science etc etc behind it. Part P has taught me where and how deep i can go into walls,Bonding requirements as well as my 2330 course,In fairness they should just be rolled together.
My lecturer is still telling the other 17 lads on my course they need to do Part P as well as 17th ed
Part P is guidence with building Regs.
Im not as confused as i was but its still cloudy LOL
Thanks for the input lads

ye as good as lecturers are at the end of the day some of them have been out the game for a while so they are offering an opinion on there interpretation of what they think you need to do rather than actual facts.

well at least you got somet out of it

ye the 2330 is designed to give the understanding you need to interpret what you need to do but i think (although ive not done it yet) the lvl3 covers a bit more as its based alongside the 17th edition

question now though as ive not done either but does the 17th edition course not cover the elements of part p or just give you the nouse to interpret them yourelf??

ye as good as lecturers are at the end of the day some of them have been out the game for a while so they are offering an opinion on there interpretation of what they think you need to do rather than actual facts.

well at least you got somet out of it

ye the 2330 is designed to give the understanding you need to interpret what you need to do but i think (although ive not done it yet) the lvl3 covers a bit more as its based alongside the 17th edition

question now though as ive not done either but does the 17th edition course not cover the elements of part p or just give you the nouse to interpret them yourelf??
17th is just the Regs book and how to find your way around it, ie tables for voltage drop etc etc and much much much more, Part P just gives you the info without having to find it within the Regs.
And in fairness mate i think they d be in the No and it be the other way around,they get given all the updates for the Quals on a Regular basis, Like the New EAL and that that his is the last year you can do the old style NVQ,Its a straight 3 year course as of Dec,Dec is the last time you can register for the level 3 NVQ and you ve got 2 yrs to compelete that book. They dont know whats going to happen after that, and if you can carry ur current unfinshed Quals over. Fingers crossed. I Dont think any 1 No's the true answer.

hi guys,
I would like to ask you similar questions
I did a apprenticeship in 1986 but never completed it another story
I have been involved in electrical installation for last 23 years, but never had any qualifications
tried repeatedly to get help with getting qualified over the years but was told i was to old
So last year after much thought i decided to pay for a private training course at great expense to my family
I did a 6 week training course and passed 17th, 2377, 2393, and logic full scope level A award
which i was told was all i needed to work for myself and register with one of governing bodies
I have also just taken a 8 week evening course at college for 2391-10 still waiting for results

Is this all i need to register with elecsa or similar
I have all required books, Megger 1552 etc
would i have to do a Nvq 3 to be classed as a electrician

hi guys,
I would like to ask you similar questions
I did a apprenticeship in 1986 but never completed it another story
I have been involved in electrical installation for last 23 years, but never had any qualifications
tried repeatedly to get help with getting qualified over the years but was told i was to old
So last year after much thought i decided to pay for a private training course at great expense to my family
I did a 6 week training course and passed 17th, 2377, 2393, and logic full scope level A award
which i was told was all i needed to work for myself and register with one of governing bodies
I have also just taken a 8 week evening course at college for 2391-10 still waiting for results

Is this all i need to register with elecsa or similar
I have all required books, Megger 1552 etc
would i have to do a Nvq 3 to be classed as a electrician

mate your experience is more valuable than any paper qual

check out the link in post 12 to answer about elecsa etc but you seem to have it covered

hard to define what an electrician is nowadays but jib seem to require the nvq3 amongst a few other things to grade you check out there website

but having said that from the ads i see from employers they tend to ask for 17th edition +2391+and the most important imo 'experience' some now are also asking for 'part p' which to be honest im not even sure they know what there asking for but you seem to cover all those bases. some ask for jib but by no means all.

if i were in your position (and you can afford to do so) would register for the nvq before dec which is the cutoff before it changes think its around the 500 squid mark and you have up to 3 years to complete but can be completed very quickly in the right circumstances (strings to your bow and all that)

personally i think it more rides on what youve done in the past i.e domestic, comm , ind and think most employers will favour more what you have done than the quals you hold.

hth

cheers mate
I did a year of my apprenticeship out of the three it was then. after a couple of years went back into electrics working for a firm that worked as contractors for wainhomes doing new build domestic but also commercial as well as rewires a little industrial experience but not enough to be competent at this. I did this for three years. after this i have been involved in electrics doing rewires. then doing maintanence including three phase commercial electrics amongst other jobs
I gave this up as was doing everything i did was for peanuts. Also my partner was left disabled after private operation in 2005. I then became her carer which i still am, so last year after trying to get help to get qualified was told there was no help for me of dole as i am not classed as unemployed
after much thought 3 years decided to pay private for the above qualifications should have cost £5020 but got it for £4020 got a megger tools and regs ,osg as part of course was taught inspection and testing. I was lacking the theory had no probs with practical side of things
I completed this last august then tried to get help of dole to go self employed to work from home again no help of dole
I managed to get advice of two other organizations and am in process of starting up then register with elecsa. done a business course in jan and feb
After looking at jobs i noticed a lot of employers were asking for 2391 so i enrolled and started it in march just taken my exams in june and waiting for results now
what is the NVQ level 3 Qualification i would have to take to be classed as electrician by JIB

Reply to Confused Please Help!! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net