Discuss Confused! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wizz

I'm keen to install some solar PV panels but am amazed at how different the quotes and specifications that we've had have been... After getting 4 quotes back in Feb - when we weren't in a position to proceed and I'm now considering quote no 5...

The latest quote - which (I think?) seems quite good on paper is £7K for 16 Solar world mono panels, enphase microinverter system, Solarworld mounting system, and should include solar iboost (it isn't included on the posh quote but is on the paperwork that the sales woman left).

We have an extended semi which faces due south. The (perhaps relatively small) shading issues that we have come from the large centrally posstioned chimney, and some from the main roof onto the extension roof. only one of the 5 quoters have been definite about us managing 16 panels (or a 4kwp system). This quote is based on 16 panels but with the proviso that if they can't fit all 16 on the south roof they could put 2 on a west facing roof (with microinverters).

I think we are tempted to go with this one. The company were highly recommended to us by neighbours (for whom they came to the rescue when their inverter failed and original installers dissappeared). So on one hand really good personal recomendations. On the other, the company sent us a sales woman rather than a surveyor to do the initial sales pitch. They don't send their surveyor or do a PV sol assessment until you've placed the order and paid a deposit... We've had surveyors for a couple of previous quotes and PV sol stuff from all the others - though i did have to ask for it from one.

That said I am beginning to wonder if I should worry about the PV sol thing... all the PV sol diagrams I've seen are all very different - can't beleive there are 4 different "best fit" arrays from the same version of the same bit off software!

Anyway any pointers on this would be very helpful...

I'm tempted by the mini inverters - but they presumably will take more getting to if something goes wrong. Not convinced that we need them especially if we can do a 16 panel south facing array.

Keen to have the solar iboost as we run our CH & HW bolier on oil so anything to get that bills down would be helpful.

Be really grateful to have some unbiaest expertise to help me unpick it all...

Thanks

5 Quotes and you still can#t make your mind up....

There is no reason not to give a DEFINITE number of panels and arrangement before install and before contract. (apart form cost cutting)

Why didn't you come here first? There are 2 or 3 very good installers on here that cover that area. Their advice will be pukka and prices honest.

So if you are prepared to ditch all the quotes that you've had from the others, and only consider those from regular posters here, I am more than sure that:

a) You will be satisfied with the end result
b) It will perform as predicted
c) They will install what they contract to
d) You will get a fair price.

we have never produced a quote that doesn't specify exactly how many panels will fit on a roof, and in what orientation.

PV Sol is only as good as the person doing the 3d modelling and system design, along with the measurements taken on site. (we employ a system designer with a 5 year electrical engineering degree, and 3 year masters in Solar PV, I'm fairly sure that most companies don't).

We'd only recommend microinverters if the performance benefits really outweighed the increased costs - not all string inverters deal with shading equally, some will be within a whisker of the shading performance of microinverters in shaded conditions, and have higher peak outputs (the micro inverters are limited to 215W output per panel, so restrict a 16 panel system to 3.44kW AC output vs 3.68kW AC output standard grid connection limit for example).

We're based in Leeds and cover York, and would be surprised if we couldn't come up with a better performing system for significantly less money, without a sales man/woman in sight. Happy to supply an alternative quote and survey if you're interested.

I didn't come here first because I'd got 4 quotes before I found this forum... :)finding this forum was one attempt at trying to work out what the quotes meant... thought I'd already posted back in march but seems to have been lost in the ether. The first 4 were from companies who contacted us after I'd made an enquiry via the EST website.. When I knew nothing about the subject what so ever...

Many thanks Gavin, not sure that we can face yet another quote, but I'll pm you if we can.

The micro inverters (enphase) were also appealing because of the monitoring technology that comes with them, ie seeing how each panel is performing. Is this available for panels on string inverters to the same extent?

Thanks for your responses.

I would recommend you get a quote form Gavin. I have worked with him on Policy for MCS and confirm he has the highest technical abilities. The process will be painless and give you the right information to make a reasoned decision with no hard sell.

This is a 25 year plus investment, so well worth dealing with a professional expert who will provide an optimum solution.

I didn't come here first because I'd got 4 quotes before I found this forum... :)finding this forum was one attempt at trying to work out what the quotes meant... thought I'd already posted back in march but seems to have been lost in the ether. The first 4 were from companies who contacted us after I'd made an enquiry via the EST website.. When I knew nothing about the subject what so ever...

Many thanks Gavin, not sure that we can face yet another quote, but I'll pm you if we can.

The micro inverters (enphase) were also appealing because of the monitoring technology that comes with them, ie seeing how each panel is performing. Is this available for panels on string inverters to the same extent?

Thanks for your responses.

Panel level monitoring isn't possible for string inverters, but then I'd personally question the value of it given that there's not really anything you can do to improve any of the panels once they're on the roof, so it's really just an expensive toy.

What we now offer as standard as an alternative is the elios4you monitoring kit, which monitors and displays generation, consumption, import and export levels using a touchscreen display, and allows data to be sent to an internet portal to be included in our quarterly analysis, and via your wifi to any smart phone / tablet. This assists customers to understand how their system works, as well as how the generation is comparing to the consumption, and remind them when there is spare electricity being generated that could be used to eg power a washing machine / dish washer load for free.

Essentially it helps you to make much better use of your system to maximise the energy savings you can achieve from it, which to my mind is more useful than just being able to see that one panel produced a few Wh more than another that day.

Esempio-funzionamento-ELIOS4YOU_APP.jpg

Reply to Confused! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net