Discuss Connecting speaker wire to audio plugs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks so much Lucien. Much appreciated.

Funny you should mention the ARC converter. I have tried this but that didn't work - hence my trying to get an alternative. Maybe you can spot what I did wrong here?

So, the TV supports ARC via its HDMI slots (it's a Philips 55PUS6401) and my AV receiver is a Pioneer VSX330 4K Home Cinema Receiver: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014Q2LOMA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

As the receiver accepts digital in, I thought I'd try the following:

The TV never discovered it though and kept using its inbuilt speakers.

Although I'm not home right now, the one thing I didn't test was just plugging the HDMI directly into one of the 4 HDMI inputs (i.e. SAT) to see if that works.

Thanks again!

Hi egg67, thanks! The HDMI out on the AV actually goes to a projector - that's the main purpose. I just want the audio from the TV to be able to use my ceiling speakers (from the AV unit).

HDMI out on AV to a hdmi splitting , hdmi splitter to TVs and p screen, turn off speaker for TV in tv settings make shore splitter is set to tv

Ah thank you. I can give that a go when I'm home. I naturally assumed HDMI OUT was purely for the projector (from the 4 inputs next to it on the AV unit (second picture of the Amazon link)). I assumed it would be a HDMI IN for ARC (from the TV).

On your AV ARC only works on the out, make shore you turn on ARC on the AV and turn off speakers on TV, it might be best to set up with the HDMI from TV plugged in to the out on the AV out then when all working add a splitter to the out

Thanks egg67! I can definitely get one of those ordered.

So, just to clarify by what you're saying:
1) HDMI from one of the ARC HDMI OUTs on TV to go to this splitter on my HDMI OUT of AV unit (one will go to projector, the other this cable between TV and AV unit)
2) this would make the TV use the speakers connected to the AV unit?

One I found: SYS HDMI 1 Male To Dual HDMI 2 Female Y Splitter Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics - https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Electronics-Photo/SYS-HDMI-Male-Female-Splitter-Cable-Adapter/B01FQQ1GFU/ref=sr_1_17?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1492357509&sr=1-17&keywords=hdmi+splitter

Thanks!

The outs on the TV ore in's, I think on your TV HDMI 1,2,3 are ARC which means they will send a sound signal back to your AV as long as it has ARC which your AV has but only on the HDMI out, for fist time set up just plug the HDMI cable from the TV to the AV out, turn TV and AV off, then turn AV on then TV make shore AV is set to ARC and speakers on TV are turned off.
If it works then get a splinter that is ARC will give you a link latter to one that will work, is this setup all in one room?

Thank you. That makes sense. I'll give it a go.

The Av receiver is in a loft so separate to the TV.

If you have an Amazon link to a decent splitter that would be great. Thanks!

Thanks egg67. Sorry if this is getting confusing.

So, forget about the TV for now. The setup in my loft is the AV receiver I linked - to that:
  • 2 x ceiling speakers
  • 1 x center speaker
  • 4 HDMI inputs (things like Amazon Firestick, Apple TV etc) - all 4 HDMI's are currently used (on the second picture of the AV unit, picture 2, the 4 inputs next to the HDMI out)
  • to the HDMI OUT is my projector
  • infrared repeaters so I can control it from downstairs

What I'm missing is being able to connect the TV to it so I can use the sound from the TV through the AV unit and out through the speakers mentioned. The only wires I can access, due to plastering/pinning and now not being able to relay any cables are:
  • 1 x speaker cable (red/white) - linked on previous post the type of them
  • 1 x HDMI cable (4k ready)

One of the things I tried, which I thought would work but didn't was:

As the receiver accepts digital in, I thought I'd try the following:

The TV never discovered it though and kept using its inbuilt speakers.

Thanks again!

AV out to TV in, so if you think about it, it will be out, in, out, in till it gets to TV, try not to think about the signal going back with the ARC

Thanks. Sorry I'm confused (doesn't take much!). I mean for the box I mentioned - so it should be on the HDMI OUT and then the TOSLINK OUT to the TV OPTICAL IN on the AV unit? Then on the AV unit disable ARC in the settings, and on the TV disable speakers?

As a backup, would it not work if I tried the 'SAT' HDMI IN on the back of AV direct to the TV?

Sorry to drag this out!

No all you are trying to do is send sound to AV, with most setups you have lets say a sky box, firestick, games consul all connected to the AV in's, then the AV out goes to the TV for the pic and sound of AV is of, as the aerial goes to the TV and not the AV the AV needs a sound source but not a picture source that is why we have ARC, so think that ARC is going backwards, so you need to Connect the HDMI from the TV to the out on the box then the optical to the AV

Thanks. That makes sense. That's what I tried before with no joy, but maybe that's because ARC was enabled on the AV. I'll try without. Thanks!

Have a look on e bay there are lots of video to cat 5 convertors.
most of them are designed to convert video and audio together,
but that should be no problem, hook up the video and audio
then at the other end just don't use the video output.
Cat 5 will be quite happy in speaker wire.

Thanks dmx. How would this connect to the AV unit though as there's no cat5 input?

I think my only options other than splitting the HDMI OUT on the AV unit as someone suggested before is either a COAX in or DIGITAL OPTICAL IN (which I have a converter for, but didn't work).

Thanks again!

And so the story evolves!

I tried some bits tonight:
  1. using the ARC box I linked above: HDMI into 'HDMI OUT', disabling ARC on the AV, optical cable from the box to the optical in - nothing worked and the TV didn't recognise the 'smart link' and reverted to its own speakers
  2. I then tried connecting the HDMI direct from the TV to the 'SAT INPUT' on my AV (linked above too) - this found the speakers and it disabled the TV speakers and said it was using the media. If I used the volume control on my TV it made a buzzing noise through my ceiling speakers (linked to the AV unit) but I couldn't hear the TV sound

Any thoughts?

Thanks again. I really appreciate your help.

Reply to Connecting speaker wire to audio plugs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net