Discuss Connecting SWA to Twin and Earth cable? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electron

-
Arms
Reaction score
I am about to start a job where the existing wiring from a detached garage is 2x6mm SWA. This runs underground from the garage consumer unit to the house and is connected, via a Junction box, to a ring circuit in the basement.
I plan put the supply to the garage onto it's own circuit (32A) using 6mm Twin and Earth cale from consumer unit in the house and connecting this, inside the house, to the existing SWA cable. Do any members know if there is a junction box that will connect SWA cable (using a gland) to Twin and Earth?

Use a standard steel adaptable box, Armoured gland into one side & standard Sprint or similar cable gland into the other for the 6mm. Use Wago's to make the splice, Screw solidly to a wall or beam, wall preferably.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am about to start a job where the existing wiring from a detached garage is 2x6mm SWA. This runs underground from the garage consumer unit to the house and is connected, via a Junction box, to a ring circuit in the basement.
I plan put the supply to the garage onto it's own circuit (32A) using 6mm Twin and Earth cale from consumer unit in the house and connecting this, inside the house, to the existing SWA cable. Do any members know if there is a junction box that will connect SWA cable (using a gland) to Twin and Earth?
why 2 x 6mm SWA? do you mean 2 cables or a 2 core SWA?

what's the earthing system, and are ther extraneous metal parts in the garage?

Use a standard steel adaptable box, Armoured gland into one side & standard Sprint or similar cable gland into the other for the 6mm. Use Wago's to make the splice, Screw solidly to a wall or beam, wall preferably.
Thanks for the prompt advice. I have located all the items at Screwfix. Although I love Wago they only go up to 4mm so I'll have to use a 6mm terminal blocks. for the connection. Thanks again.

you need to change your picture aviator page simon linton was it took in prison !
I didn't think anyone would know if I cropped my number off!. How perceptive of you to notice. I assume you have also done t
Thanks for making me aware of this. I use the 221 connectors but these 773-173 will be great. A bit expensive at £17 for 50 from my supplier (34p each!)

Thanks for the prompt advice. I have located all the items at Screwfix. Although I love Wago they only go up to 4mm so I'll have to use a 6mm terminal blocks. for the connection. Thanks again.

No Simon, if you look at a decent Electrical wholesaler you'll find they go to 6mm.
I keep some in my service kit.

Reply to Connecting SWA to Twin and Earth cable? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net