Discuss Connecting three wires to a socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Garethb

Hi all,

I'm in the process of changing the sockets in my house (just the face plates) and I'm having serious trouble fitting the ones with three wires where there's a spur.

Can I just crimp the three wires together and then one wire out the other end to connect? If not any advice please to try and save some of my dignity whilst trying to change sockets?!?!

Many thanks
Gareth

a 35mm back box might make thye job easier. don't forget, only 1 socket allowed on an unfused spur ( assuming it's a RFC on a 32A MCB.)

Thanks for quick responses all!

The cables are 2.5mm twin earth (very newly installed. The fixture has a 35mm back box already. I've no idea how the person who fitted the pr oohs so met did it as I've tried refitting the original sockets to no avail (wires are loose still)

Cheers

Sorry just to clarify, crimping the three wires together isn't an option?Thanks
not really no,given the situation you describe it should be very easy to get the cables in,given you can't get them to tighten in the original fitting you must be doing something wrong.

can't see how you can't get 3 cables in a terminal and make them tight, as long as the ends aren't folded over. have you had your weetabix?

Make sure you undo the socket screw terminals all the way to give you enough room to get the three cores in, and put the first two in side by side then slide the third on top in between the two in the grove then tighten down adequately, then do a little pull tet to make sure there tight, jobs a gud un.

Sorry just to clarify, crimping the three wires together isn't an option?Thanks

definitely not. If you are struggling to get a tight connection on the terminals, you will no way be able to produce a satisfactory joint in the back of this socket.

Loose wires can lead to hot sparky crispy bits that can cause fires. Pride comes before a fall, so swallow yours, put your safety before your pride and get a sparky in to sort it for you.
It's not gonna be expensive and you won't get judged.

arrrrggggghhhhh. twisting solid crap cable... recipe for disaster. ever heard of metal fatigue?

I have. I wasn't suggesting he should twist them, merely enquiring if he had.

It seems to be a common DIYer trait, which may explain his difficulty in inserting the conductors in the terminal.

Thanks all for the replies, just to answer a couple of questions:

I haven't twisted the cores together
The cores sit in the socket fine and the screw seems to tighten fine on top but they still come loose and out (crap sockets maybe?!)

Just want to explore all options before calling out an electrician to change two damn sockets!

Thanks

Thanks all for the replies, just to answer a couple of questions:

I haven't twisted the cores together
The cores sit in the socket fine and the screw seems to tighten fine on top but they still come loose and out (crap sockets maybe?!)

Just want to explore all options before calling out an electrician to change two damn sockets!

Thanks

Where did you buy the sockets?

sounds like crap sockets. buy some decent ones, BG nexus, click, crabtree, MK, acel (the £3 ones from leecy center, not the cheap crap).

b&q are usually MK. should not be a problem, unlike their CUs where the MCBs won't line up with the cover and a hammer has to be introduced.

Reply to Connecting three wires to a socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net