Discuss connection of an 11kw 240v kiln into my household supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Phil T

Hi, could I have some general advise regarding the installation of an 11kw electric kiln at my property? I would like to get an idea of what works would be required (and therefore the cost)
I have this kiln housed (unconnected) in a brick outbuilding, which has an electrical supply to it from the house, via 16mm armoured cable (this is connected to the house consumer unit) The brick outbuilding has a consumer unit fitted inside, which powers the light and a fridge freezer.
The main fuse in the house is rated at 80a, so I think I would at least need to get this uprated, but maybe it requires it's own supply?

it's a 50A load. i'd split the tails to the house CU with henley blocks and feed the 16mm independent of the house CU. bear in mind that the kiln will have some sort of thermostatic control so will not be pulling the 50A continuously. an upgrade of the supply fuse is a good idea.

Thanks for the fast reply!
Sounds like it might be cheaper than first thought. Would I need to contact my electricity supplier directly to upgrade the fuse, or could/should I leave that to an electrician? Also, am I able to fit the cable trunking for the kiln myself, or do regulations not permit me to do that?

What's to distance from the supply to the outbuilding?
What other loads are in the outbuilding ( other machinery, heating, lights, potter's wheel, etc)?

Possibly have the kiln fire up at night time via (cheaper rate electric) a timer/contactor. I would however inform your local DNO company that you intend increase load.

Thanks for all your replies, they have proved most helpful.
The length of the 16mm armoured cable is about 8 meters from the house consumer unit, to the one in the outbuilding. All we have in that building is a fridge freezer and a 4mm radial that goes to a 32a blue IP44 external socket. This I use for another workshop, and also for garden equipment. We did consider using this workshop for another smaller kiln (3kw) but at the moment the only thing of any power used in there is a fan heater.

Reply to connection of an 11kw 240v kiln into my household supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock