Discuss consumer unit 8 meters from meter in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Q

quickquestion

Hi guys

The existing CU has to be repositioned, tails would need to be too long. The distance is approx 7-8 meters.
The house will be rewired but that I would consider to be a 'standard' job'

The job will be quoted for and done by a registered sparky but there is no access to the premisses for a few weeks.
As I do know a bit about the stuff I am trying to assess the cost involved in the meantime.
I haven't touched electrics for several years, regulation changed many times, besides I've never had british qualifications hence my question.

I understand a fused isolator would be required
Wylex 45A switch fuse ?
What would be your advice in regards to the cable?
Can it be buried in the wall?

http://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/ae0f53E.png
http://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/gYNyY0y.jpg

Leave it to your electrician to sort out. He will extend the tails, move the CU and extend the the T&E from the old CU to the New CU. Iso switch will be 100A btw.

You already have an electrician in to give you a price for the rewire, ask him how much extra for the move. I would say £150 - £200 including materials.

Cost around £700.00. Give or take a ton. Get a few quotes and given you know 'a bit' about leccy then you will be well placed to pick the right sparky for the job.

Hope that assists!!

So many questions - only a site visit will give the answers, so think about the cost above and as soon as you get the keys get a couple of local registered sparkies in.

What you should do in the meantime is come up with a rewire spec so they can quote for this at the same time........

Replacing fuseboards and rewires fall under part P of the building regs so make sure you get somebody who is registered.

The sparky will do what he (her :icon12:) to do and what complies

The answer re cable run will help to plan building works.
New meter cupboard size, plastering, lowering ceiling or removing/replacing ceiling plasterboards

Time is the issue. I should have had the keys already but completions been delayed.

Thanks for an idea to get rewire spec ready.

Cost around £700.00. Give or take a ton. Get a few quotes and given you know 'a bit' about leccy then you will be well placed to pick the right sparky for the job.

Hope that assists!!

My estimate is just for extending the tails btw, not to move the CU. And it is London so that will increase it!

What is the reason behind moving the CU from it's present postion??

Your still going to need to retain the present cupboard that's housing the Service cut-out and lecky meter. You'll also need to provide a switch fuse in that cupboard for the extended tails to the new CU position....

What is the reason behind moving the CU from it's present postion??

Your still going to need to retain the present cupboard that's housing the Service cut-out and lecky meter. You'll also need to provide a switch fuse in that cupboard for the extended tails to the new CU position....

Same as I see it , I would have thought a service alteration is best , looks like an external wall there , why not have an external meter cabinet installed with meter and cut out moved and the whole wall freed up , and still move the consumer unit to the new position ...

The sparky will do what he (her :icon12:) to do and what complies

The answer re cable run will help to plan building works.
New meter cupboard size, plastering, lowering ceiling or removing/replacing ceiling plasterboards

Time is the issue. I should have had the keys already but completions been delayed.

Thanks for an idea to get rewire spec ready.

Anyones guess until you get inside and lift a few boards!!

Thanks for answers

switch will be 100A btw
main fuse is 60A

Your still going to need to retain the present cupboard that's housing the Service cut-out and lecky meter

But 5 times smaller.
Did I mentioned existing gas meter and pipe across in the same cupboard?
Luckily it's getting moved outside

why not have an external meter cabinet installed with meter
DNO quoted 960+vat. if I get the trench and cabinet ready for them

Still do not know if the cable can be buried in wall run along ceiling joists to new location?
Ceiling is wooden joists construction, accessible floorboards from bedroom above.
Ground level floor is concrete

if tails are buried in wall, then 522.6.101 applies.

Reply to consumer unit 8 meters from meter in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net