Discuss Consumer Unit Change and sockets in the skirting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

David Nicholls

Ive been to a job today and the customer wants a new consumer unit to replace an old re-wireable fuse board. After having a good look around i noticed upstairs there is quite a few sockets in the skirting boards. Ive taken a few off and its wired in pvc twin and earth.

Am i right in saying that in changing the consumer unit i am taking responsibility for the entire installation once tested and if so, do i need to discuss these sockets with the client or is it something that provided it is no less safe than it already was it can be left albeit put on the existing installation comments?

Thanks in advance

You take responsibility for the board and the associated circuits, ensuring the circuits function with the new board in accordance with bs7671.

Disconnection times, rcd protection etc.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I had a feeling that they would get flagged up on an EICR so thought perhaps not ok to leave after a board change. Ive got my NICEIC DIS assessment in 2 days so its early days for me working for myself. still learning....

What's wrong with sockets in the skirting boards?

You wouldn't be asking that if your back & knees were the same as mine!!

In my house I've fitted them 500mm up from the floor it makes plugging things in & out one hell of a lot easier!!

On a rewire there's no requirement to move all the sockets and switches to part M height - as Lee says provided they're not so low the flex is damaged when you plug anything in, they can stay where they are.

The EIC has 2 very useful boxes:

1. Description of works

2. Comments about installation.

Sensible use of these boxes is more than appropriate in such cases. (and many others)

I had a feeling that they would get flagged up on an EICR so thought perhaps not ok to leave after a board change. Ive got my NICEIC DIS assessment in 2 days so its early days for me working for myself. still learning....

What reason do you think this would be flagged up for?

What are you proposing instead? Dictating to a customer that they must have the sockets moved?

I wouldn't suggest dictating to a client. You can only recommend and advise in writing to cover your backside.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Yes, but if that recommendation is based on personal opinions and guesswork rather than any basis in the regulations or fact then it shouldn't be made in the first place.

The EIC has 2 very useful boxes:

1. Description of works

2. Comments about installation.

Sensible use of these boxes is more than appropriate in such cases. (and many others)

^^THIS^^
Like the poster above said, make use of the description of works and note down any observations about the installation.

BS 7671 does not require existing circuits to be upgraded to current standards in order for them to be connected to the outgoing ways of the replacement consumer unit.

You must however make sure the work that you do be designed, erected and verified in accordance with the requirements of the current edition of BS 7671, and must not impair the safety of the existing installation (Regulation 610.4).
On completion of the verification of the work an Electrical Installation Certificate must be issued (Regulation 631.1).

Reply to Consumer Unit Change and sockets in the skirting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock