Discuss Consumer Unit Change - Back Entry in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Piratepete

Hi Guys
No doubt this has been asked before, and the answer is already out there somewhere but I'm tired and the job is tomorrow so please bear with me.

Existing CU is back entry, spaced off the wall by an inch on a couple of vertical battens in a tight wooden cupboard. I'm intending the same mounting and cable entry arrangement

Back entry requirement is IP2XC which allows a gap of about 12mm od at each gland. It occurs to me that having gaps like this doesn't help if you're trying to keep an internal fire contained.

Is there any requirement to fill any gap between the cables and the edge of the quite large entry holes?

Cheers

Pete

I'm confuse. IP rating for enclosure, CU is top and sides. As wirepuller is saying, nothing required for back of CU. But if its in a wall unit, isn't there a back panel (wall unit) as well?

I'm confuse. IP rating for enclosure, CU is top and sides. As wirepuller is saying, nothing required for back of CU. But if its in a wall unit, isn't there a back panel (wall unit) as well?
There wouldn't be a requirement for back entry because the board should be flat to the wall. No idea why people mount them upon battens.

There wouldn't be a requirement for back entry because the board should be flat to the wall. No idea why people mount them upon battens.

If you have cables run on the surface from above, it's much easier to route them in through a good sized (non-accessible) hole in the rear than get an IP4X entry on the top face. Also easier when adding cables later, as there's no need to be cutting extra holes in the enclosure, which can be difficult if access is restricted.

If you have cables run on the surface from above, it's much easier to route them in through a good sized (non-accessible) hole in the rear than get an IP4X entry on the top face. Also easier when adding cables later, as there's no need to be cutting extra holes in the enclosure, which can be difficult if access is restricted.
Contain them in trunking.

I agree Handysparks. Some times its not an option to use trunking due to cables being painted over and decoration etc. personally though I would prefer to use a CU patress.

What is a non accessible hole, and if it is how does this aid future cable entries?

If you can't reach the edges of the hole with a finger then, in my opinion, it's safe. Of course, you can still manoeuvre a new cable into the enclosure.
Each to their own, the only time I could maybe understand battens was if the surface was uneven. Different people different standards.

If in a cupboard and not worried about aesthetics I would get rid of the battens and go straight into the top of the unit with stuffing glands, if worried about what it looks like then contain all in square conduit butted to top of board. Personally I don't like battens with holes down the back. If the wall/plasterboard was shot/wonky or holes too big I would back with a ply mounting board.
Oh and the answer to your actual question is no!:)

Each to their own, the only time I could maybe understand battens was if the surface was uneven. Different people different standards.

I'd say different methods rather than different standards. I don't use this method every time, only when it makes sense in the circumstances. I think it still complies with the regs.

Would the inside of your trunking be inaccessible without the use of a tool?

I'd say different methods rather than different standards. I don't use this method every time, only when it makes sense in the circumstances. I think it still complies with the regs.

Would the inside of your trunking be inaccessible without the use of a tool?
You think it "still" complies with Regs? Consult manufacturers installation methods and if this method is approved, fine go for it.

You think it "still" complies with Regs? Consult manufacturers installation methods and if this method is approved, fine go for it.

Hum ... which regs DO YOU believe are not complying.

Last time I reviewed this there were no restrictions for the rear of the CU.......... if my memory serves me correctly.

More to the point, better a rear access than a poor top, side or down........that you can stick things through AND for many existing, altered installations there is no choice, whereas nice new shiny installations can be done differently.

Think a manufacturer would hastily issuing labels saying do not use our rear knockouts, as means of entry.
However, wish other manufacturers produced a CU pattress like Wylex. Bit more professional looking, but I would still use batterns etc as means of installation.

Reply to Consumer Unit Change - Back Entry in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock