Discuss Consumer unit change, economy 7 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

robo83

-
Reaction score
Had a look at a job yesterday.

The consumer unit has 2 sets of tails feeding the board. 1 set left side into main switch supplying sockets, lights etc, 2nd set into rcd right side feeding the economy rate (storage heaters).

There is only 1 meter in DNO cupboard where all tails leave (meter just been upgraded by DNO) , is that acceptable. I am quoting to upgrade to 17th edition board as the existing is damaged.

Bit puzzled there is usually the economy 7 meter lurking somewhere to record the night-time usage, when I have seen this the meter is usually in with the timer switch and sealed. Happy to learn different. Maybe a new meter that records both?

you will have problems if trying to fit a single CU in this situation.

1 way would be to have 2 main switches, with RCBOs. but could you get enough division of circuits .

a dual tariff meter is better as then any electricity used midnight to 7 am is cheap rate, not just the storage heating.

I just spoke to customer, it's a dual traffic meter. Supply on the cheaper tariff comes on at midnight.

Is it acceptable to use a normal split load consumer unit labeling up each side.?

No you will need a board with dual isolators and even though you could "adapt" a board I doubt the manufacturer would recommend this. You need a dual tariff consumer unit they are not uncommon.

I have seen split load boards altered, not dual rcd whereby the rcd is replaced with a 60947-3 isolator and the linking kit ditched. I wouldn't recommend this though as it will hold no warranty.

Yeah the Wylex Duplex range are pricey but I use them quite often and you get loads of internal space.

I also seem to recall, quite a lengthy lead time to build the thing as well. Probably attractive for Wylex if you want several, but not if you just want one. Think I was quoted several weeks.

I also seem to recall, quite a lengthy lead time to build the thing as well. Probably attractive for Wylex if you want several, but not if you just want one. Think I was quoted several weeks.
They are hard to source and are often built to order, been lucky on the last two as I have just Googled the rather lengthy part number and come up trumps with a wholesaler who has one.

I just spoke with the customer.

The off peak has only 1 circuit. There are 3 circuits on the off peak side of the board but 2 of them are unused as the storage heaters have been removed from the properly. It's just the water heater that's connected to off peak.

Is adding a second board for the off peak an option (local holesalers don't have dual tarrif)

I undestand modifying a split load board is not to spec but this would also work?

With only the water heater on cheap rate, shouldn't the first thing that you do be to look at previous bills and make sure that having the off peak supply is in the customers interest?

Have they considered their daytime tariff as it usually quite expensive. And economy 7 is not economy below 4kw usage of night time heating/usage due to the day tariff. I think Mhar beat me to it.

Reply to Consumer unit change, economy 7 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net