Discuss Consumer unit change, economy 7 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Thanks guys.

I have emailed customer regards the unnecessary need for dual tarrif and await his reply.

If he agrees to revert to a standard tariff will it be a DNO visit or will they change the tariff electronically and I make safe the second set out tails?

If the customer wants to keep the dual tarrif.

Can I use a split load board for on peak, then add second smaller board for off peak with the storage heaters.?

Thanks Richard,

I've read also a few people buying the larger split load boards, 15 & 21 way as these have 3 neutral bars then adding main switch for off peak side.

I'm going with the 2nd board option, mainly as the job needs doing and I can't wait for dual tariff board to arrive, checked wholesalers and none of them stock.

just fit a normal board, dual rcb or rcbos whatever you fancy, and fit a timer on the immersion as the others have said, go din rail mounted if you like, stick the un needed tail in a block? At least then you also have 1 point of isolation for the whole house which is always nicer

Adding a timeswitch is not a sensible option, it will end up out of sync with the off-peak times and just add an unnecessary point of potential failure.
There is already a switched supply present which is only live during the off peak charging period so use it.

Use a wylex rec4 (not the tp&n one but the one correctly labelled for economy 7) external to the new cu, and virtually any high integrity board with enough ways. All day supply as normal, overnight goes to new (second) main switch and feeds an rcbo which utilises the seperate n bar in high integrity units.
Something like 16 Way Metal Dual Split Consumer Unit c/w 2 x RCD's c/w 12 MCB's - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BGDP18616.html will give you 10 split load day circuits plus 4 overnight rcbos (or different combinations) with no alteration to the manufacturers product, utilises the supplied conductors and busbar and complies with single point of isolation requirements

Quick update.

Went to the job last night.

I am Limited with space for the size of the CU.

I have spoken with the customer and it is likely that a 12way (10mcb) CU will be installed with one side RCBOs for on peak, the second side Off Peak, Main switch / RCD / MCB setup.

This isn't the cheapest option, but it keeps each side on a main switch and RCD protected.

Sound OK?

Reply to Consumer unit change, economy 7 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock