Discuss Consumer unit change testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi all I've got my first consumer unit change to do as I'm using this as my first nic assessment. My question is when doing my ir test the whole house is on led downlights about 30 of then plus under kitchen 12v led and a lot of sub sockets, will all,of theses need to be disconnected to do these test. Also do I need to do r1+r2 on every downlight.

Any advice is much appreciated as this is my first nic assessment after this change.

Thanks

I can see why you would ask that I just don't want to mess anything up as I haven't done the ir test this way before it just so happens this house has a lot of LEDs and sub sockets in and would take ages to go round and take everything out then put back in. So I would rather check first as this way will save a lot of time.

As above. Tie L & N together and IR test between that and earth.
If you are really unsure, wind your IR tester down to 250VDC for the test. No need to go for 500V if the test results at 250 are OK.

The ideal way to do proper tests is well and truly screwed by all these fittings.

Regs say 500v but sometimes I test at 250v where there is equipment sensitive to damage. But really speaking it will be a departure from regs to leave it at that.

I would measure R1 + R2 at each light fitting. How is he proving continuity of protective conductors by only testing at the final light fitting?

If there was a break in the earth conductor prior to the final light, he wouldn't be able to get the reading as there would be no earth path back to CU.

I rarely bother with R1+R2, usually Zs-Ze although i feel thats a brave statement on this forum

Your testing to ensure the circuits are safe to renergise and surely put cu change only on eic extent. I would suggest end of line zs, L&N - earth IR, continuity of ring end-end conductors
On final circuits would achieve this.

If there was a break in the earth conductor prior to the final light, he wouldn't be able to get the reading as there would be no earth path back to CU.

I rarely bother with R1+R2, usually Zs-Ze although i feel thats a brave statement on this forum
Zs - Ze Please tell me your joking

Reply to Consumer unit change testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock