Discuss Consumer Unit Change in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The advice I received from my scheme (NAPIT) was "it is recommended that you carry out an EICR before a board change to ensure there are no issues that could bite you in the buttocks" (somewhat paraphrased, but you get the picture). Note, recommended, NOT required.

I asked them because I did some basic checks (IR, Zs) on the circuits including an RFC all of which were good during my quote visit, did the board change and found an RFC had an r1 of 11.8kOhms :eek: and consequently had the pleasure of figuring out where the problems were before I could finish up and issue the cert, thankfully the customer was understanding, but could have cost me.

So I would add RFC end to end continuity to the list of checks to do. It's worth the time in the long run.

Think this is getting some what overhyped. Whilst it might be prudent to carry out some rudimentary checks before replacing a CU, you don't want to be in a position of installing a bran sparky new dual RCD or RCBO populated CU, but can't turn it on 'cos its got some neutral earth fault, but I'm not spending my free time carry out some freebie 'EICR'. If the property has faults, that's extra, as mentioned in my T&C's.

In general @Midwest I agree with you and it would be very easy to go way over the top, but personally, I don't do anything too onerous (basic checks at the DB, IR of as much as I can, Zs at a selection of places, Ze and PFC if poss, RFC continuity and a quick visual of as much as I can - this list has grown over time because I've been stung by issues previously), besides while I have the power off, I'm having a chat with the customer about any issues they may have with the current installation, or anything they might like changing while the work is going on, finding out more about the installation (age, any paperwork etc.) and hopefully enjoying a cuppa if they offer one before the power goes off.

I'd much rather have a good idea upfront of what I'm getting into and I'm pretty certain it goes down much better with the customer if you can warn them there may be a problem that will cost to fix rather than being stung with that on the day of the work. It just means both parties are better prepared for the final outcome.

Anyhow, you don't need to do an EICR, it's a personal choice and this is how I choose to operate because I don't look on it as wasted time, I look on it as building a relationship with a potential client.

In general @Midwest I agree with you and it would be very easy to go way over the top, but personally, I don't do anything too onerous (basic checks at the DB, IR of as much as I can, Zs at a selection of places, Ze and PFC if poss, RFC continuity and a quick visual of as much as I can - this list has grown over time because I've been stung by issues previously), besides while I have the power off, I'm having a chat with the customer about any issues they may have with the current installation, or anything they might like changing while the work is going on, finding out more about the installation (age, any paperwork etc.) and hopefully enjoying a cuppa if they offer one before the power goes off.

I'd much rather have a good idea upfront of what I'm getting into and I'm pretty certain it goes down much better with the customer if you can warn them there may be a problem that will cost to fix rather than being stung with that on the day of the work. It just means both parties are better prepared for the final outcome.

Anyhow, you don't need to do an EICR, it's a personal choice and this is how I choose to operate because I don't look on it as wasted time, I look on it as building a relationship with a potential client.
Thats another thing i need to start doing..... Getting the kettle on before i knock the power off. ;)

With regards to Test results sheet, What about ref method? Obviously on an existing install there is no way to verify this, so do we leave it blank or go with worst case senario??

I would try and make an informed assessment. The last one I did, the only place that was insulated was the loft, the rest was floor voids and cables in the gap between blockwork and plasterboard so it was fairly straightforward to make an informed decision.

Failing that I'd go for worst case, verifying the OCPD are still fine for the de-rated current carying capacity and possibly make a note on the EIC that it's not been possible to verify installation methods so you've assumed worst case and verified the OCPD are still suitable.

I would try and make an informed assessment. The last one I did, the only place that was insulated was the loft, the rest was floor voids and cables in the gap between blockwork and plasterboard so it was fairly straightforward to make an informed decision.

Failing that I'd go for worst case, verifying the OCPD are still fine for the de-rated current carying capacity and possibly make a note on the EIC that it's not been possible to verify installation methods so you've assumed worst case and verified the OCPD are still suitable.
Makes sense, assume the worst, covers your back!

Oh yes. If I'm turning the power off for more than a few minutes, I always ask the customer if they need to boil the kettle first. It quite often prompts an enquiry as to whether I'd like a cup of tea. :)

Me too, although it occasionally doesn't work, then I'll get cheeky and say something like 'a nice cuppa would be much appreciated' . :D

Reply to Consumer Unit Change in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net