Discuss Consumer Unit Change in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Brass nut and bolt with flylead to earth bar. Daz

10mm or go the whole hog and make it 16mm? after all it could contact a pretty serious bus bar...

Hi all,

I've fitted the mk blank mcbs. They look ok (not as neat as the plastic blanks in my humble opinion).

Just to clarify one point.

They fit neatly but I would say just about fall short of ip4x. I am correct in thinking for the mcbs and main switch I only need ip2x? (I'm way above ip2x, close to ip4x).

Thanks all for your help, tomorrow is the day and so I'm pretty much out of time :(

Last edited:
Only the top is ip2x the rest is ip4x

Sorry yes the other way round.
Only the top is ip4x the rest is ip2x
My bad :)

I use the Wylex metal blanks - they can only be fitted before the cover is fitted.
These are the blanks I was referring to didn't realise Wylex now do them in metal, normally fill spares with mcbs. So this begs the question are plastic blanks still acceptable with the metal enclosure.

Thanks all, I'll post tomorrow to let you know how it goes.

Plastic blank mcbs meet all requirements. Let's not forget the mcbs themselves are plastic.

The plastic blanks I can see being an issue as they can be removed without the use of a tool to varying degrees, some are great but really the ones I had could be removed with some wrangling.

The plastic blank mcbs cannot be removed without a tool amd therefore are entirely up to the job.

The reason I didn't use the metal ones are for the reasons discussed above. The board is painted and so they wouldn't have been earthed.

Chances of a cable coming into contact with them is slim but still a chance I guess.

Feeling absolutely fine with the blank mcbs :)

Don't sweat it. Worst case he makes a comment and you discuss it.

Good luck for tomorrow. Sure it will be fine.

Don't sweat it. You seem like you've been pretty thorough and conscientious. Some of the sh** I've come across done by sparks that are part of a scheme - you'll sail through.

Don't forgot that its in their interest you pass and they will normally do what they can within reason these days to help you to. They want your money. It's not like it was pre financial crisis!

Well done. Its good to know the assessment actually means something. And even better that you were more than up to the job. What was his view on the earth route?

He was absolutely fine with it. I mentioned it to him (citing the regulation) whilst he was closely examining the install and he said that it was fine as the tails are considered seperatly.

Thankfully I took a lot of photos of the install in varying stages of completion otherwise he would have wanted to check inside the trunking for fire clips. A photograph sufficed and he was happy to see them saying they are very often forgotten/not known about.

Reply to Consumer Unit Change in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net