Discuss Consumer unit change in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Cadgey123

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have been asked to change the consumer unit in a clients house and I am looking for any suggestions and ideas to what I should/can do?
The easiest option is to change the MCBS and install a main switch and RCD protection. NOT sure if this would comply with AMD 3 though??

Or I could get the supply company to move the meter and try and fit a new C.U in the space provided, but not keen on joining cables all the existing cables etc.

There is an enclosure sunk in the wall ( previous council flat )
The picture is attached.

Appreciate your experiences or opinions

IMG_0601.JPG

Last edited:
That really isn't a straight forward task, never seen a Wylex NB mantle board. From your post comments I think you need to consult an electrician.

It's inside a steel cabinet, you can't get much more non-combustible

Agree, but not what I was told by ECA and NIC when I called them both about it. Was advised to use the new consumer units linked to in post 15 as the old ones have plastic parts (covers etc). The fact the whole thing is enclosed inside the metal meter cabinet didn't seem to make a difference to them.

the trouble with the old steel cabinet is you can not put the new wylex consumer units
in, has posted 15 they made those cabinets for local council property .

I've read your post a few times and it still doesn't make a lot of sense. Are you saying the Wylex consumer units in post 15 can't be fitted inside the Mantel cabinets as they are for council property only? Disagree if so.

Reply to Consumer unit change in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net