Discuss Consumer Unit Changes, options for Customers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all, does anyone have any fact sheets, flyers or the like for Customers...Explaining the benefits of an RCBO Board over a Dual RCD Board?

Nope I just explain it to them. If they don't understand after a couple of tries then they are not the sort of people to care which option they get anyway.
As do I, but I haven't met the customer on this one, and a little flyer would be nice

Separate rcbos comply with division of circuits, dual rcd boards do not and should be recorded as a deviation from BS7671.

I'd have to disagree with that, it all depends on how the circuits are arranged with a dual RCD board and it's certainly not a non compliance IMO.
This is a grey area which manufacturers have capitilised upon. We are talking of Reg 314, whether we use separate rcbos or dual rcd boards part (i) of this Reg can never be guaranteed no matter how circuits are arranged in a dual rcd board. What can be assured is that separate rcbos lesson any danger or inconvenience. So to me any alternative is a deviation as you are using a method which is not the best solution, just more cost effective for the customer.

It states circuits shall be divided to avoid danger and minimise inconvenience, separate rcbos achieve this better than dual rcd boards.

It states circuits shall be divided to avoid danger and minimise inconvenience, separate rcbos achieve this better than dual rcd boards.

This is correct, but does that mean that RCD split CUs don't divide the installation up enough to comply ?

A socket radial circuit to each room in the house would achieve better division of circuits and minimisation of inconvenience than a ring final circuit serving multiple rooms. Should a RFC be put down as a deviation ?

A socket radial circuit to each room in the house would achieve better division of circuits and minimisation of inconvenience than a ring final circuit serving multiple rooms. Should a RFC be put down as a deviation ?

Well, I disagree. If you are looking at continuity of service (minimisation of inconvenience) then a ring is better at that than a radial. A broken neutral conductor in a radial with stop the remainder of the sockets, after the fault, from working.
A broken neutral conductor in a ring final will allow all sockets to continue to work, except perhaps the socket with the broken neutral. It may be - and this is more usual - that a ring has worked for years with a broken conductor, and this is only noticed when some more diligent electrician carries out a continuity test!

I don't know about most of you but my 16th board rcd hasn't tripped in over a year. What's this "minimise inconvenience"? It may sounds like you are trying to get more money off the customer.
Yes RCD's are better but when they come down to the same price as a breaker then things may get better.

N
I don't know about most of you but my 16th board rcd hasn't tripped in over a year. What's this "minimise inconvenience"? It may sounds like you are trying to get more money off the customer.
Yes RCD's are better but when they come down to the same price as a breaker then things may get better.
No not trying to get more money from anyone, use dual rcd boards myself. Was just trying to say the other method provides correct division of circuits. And yes I list this as a Deviation.

Absolutely right, Spoon.
If you've got RCDs tripping all the time, there's obviously something seriously wrong going on.
At my home, I've had 2 or 3, at most, tripping events (RCDs, not chemically induced :)) in the last 10 years.
Unless every circuit is critical, 1 or 2 coverall RCDs is perfectly adequate.

Well yes it does but not as effectively as separate rcbos.

Obviously..... But a dual rcd board is cheaper and to the regs.
I do hope you are not trying to scare customers into buying

Obviously..... But a dual rcd board is cheaper and to the regs.
I do hope you are not trying to scare customers into buying
The reason I use dual rcd boards is because of cost. I only use separate rcbos if there are limited circuits. Dual rcd boards are not practical where say you may only have 4 or 5 circuits or space is restricted. I chose the best method for the situation and as you can see from my picture that is the only way I scare customers :grin:

Reply to Consumer Unit Changes, options for Customers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net