Discuss Consumer unit options? Advice wanted. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

saint

-
Reaction score
Hi, i am part way through a domestic job. The two storey extension is now second fixed and I'm ready to put on the CU. The rewire of the original part of the house is to follow. I'm looking at 16 circuits in total so too many for your 'normal' size CU so i'm looking at a duplex board, probably a 20 or 26 way like the Wylex NMDRS20SSLHI

I dont want to put too many circuits on an RCD so i'm thinking of maybe 5 on each and 6 on rcbos. But i'm wondering what others opinions are and what other options there might be. I obviously want to keep the price down. This set up is gonna be about £250+VAT!

thanks

Hi, i am part way through a domestic job. The two storey extension is now second fixed and I'm ready to put on the CU. The rewire of the original part of the house is to follow. I'm looking at 16 circuits in total so too many for your 'normal' size CU so i'm looking at a duplex board, probably a 20 or 26 way like the Wylex NMDRS20SSLHI

I dont want to put too many circuits on an RCD so i'm thinking of maybe 5 on each and 6 on rcbos. But i'm wondering what others opinions are and what other options there might be. I obviously want to keep the price down. This set up is gonna be about £250+VAT!

thanks
Why not go for an all RCBO board? personally I would have thought the size and typ of CU would have been decided at the onset of the job.

I'd go for full RCBO if possible, but looking at your budget you'd have to go for a bargain basement brand which is never good. High integrity boards would probably find you in a similar place.

If budget is king why not go for 2 x 5+5 split load boards instead of a duplex board ?

I was going to say similar, MK used to do 'stacking kits' for their insulated CU's. Not sure what's available now with the A3 CU's with internal cabling (RCD etc)?

PS; Would definitely use a high integrity boards, but those duplex boards won't come cheap, unless you got a stash of RCBO's.

I have fitted several dual rcd Wylex duplex boards, I have to say they are the best boards I have fitted, well made and loads of wiring space. You may have a wait getting it though. MK I would avoid like the plague.

Did you not discuss the pricing of the CU before you started?

Personally I avoid dual RCD boards these days and go for RCBO boards all the time.....

I don't understand what you mean by wanting to keep the price down? Has the customer just agreed to you doing the work Carte Blanche, without other quotes, or are you just trying to maximise your profit? Not being funny here just curious, seems a bit odd this was not taken into consideration at the start of the job?

Reply to Consumer unit options? Advice wanted. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock