• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Consumer unit: which comes first? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
greetings.

Just a quick question about switch order.

Should the main circuit breaker be wired in first before the main switch, or is the main switch always first in line from the supply feed?

Thanks,

Gary

Consumer unit: which comes first? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

greetings.

Just a quick question about switch order.

Should the main circuit breaker be wired in first before the main switch, or is the main switch always first in line from the supply feed?

Thanks,

Gary
Gary
Hi you don't tell us what you are in your profile, by that I mean: Electrician, Domestic Installer, Apprentice, Trainee or DIYer in order to tailor replies we need to know at what level you are.

With such a worrying opening question I don't have much hope for this thread.
I tend to agree, but patience is a virtue, lets just wait and see what the OP's experiences are, could be just staring out. On the other hand could be a complete Gimboid.

Last edited:
Apologies for not providing more info.

Have no fear, I am certainly not a cowboy when it comes to electricity!

In fact, I'm only just into my second year studying to be a domestic electrical installer, then planning on moving up to commercial/industrial.

I'm asking this as after having attended my first practical week, there was some discussion about the correct order that switches in the CU should be wired in.

In my understanding, the feed from the supply comes in to the main switch, and then to the circuit breakers for each circuit in the installation, yes?

Some folk attending were questioning if there should be an initial circuit breaker before the individual ones controlling the circuits.

I just thought I'd throw the question out there...

think OP is thinking of dual RCD board, where it's main switch - RCD - circuit breakers.. and wondering whether the RCD should come before or after the main switch. the answer is always main switch first. no matter what the board configuration is after.

In fact, I'm only just into my second year studying to be a domestic electrical installer, then planning on moving up to commercial/industrial.

I'm asking this as after having attended my first practical week, there was some discussion about the correct order that switches in the CU should be wired in.

In my understanding, the feed from the supply comes in to the main switch, and then to the circuit breakers for each circuit in the installation, yes?

Some folk attending were questioning if there should be an initial circuit breaker before the individual ones controlling the circuits.

Main Switch is there to Isolate the rest of the installation. As has been said Main switch first, then the individual circuit breakers.

Corrected that for you.

Many installations have 2 or more fuse boards .....
Sorry Murdoch, my post mentioned Main Switch to isolate the rest of the circuits connected to this fuse board, 1 fuse board 1 main switch, no mention of another fuse board, if the installation had more than 1 fuse board then the same would apply to each fuse board, can't see how you corrected it for me.

JW usually has a good explanation on all thing electrical

Reply to Consumer unit: which comes first? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back