Discuss Consumer unit: which comes first? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sorry Murdoch, my post mentioned Main Switch to isolate the rest of the circuits connected to this fuse board, 1 fuse board 1 main switch, no mention of another fuse board, if the installation had more than 1 fuse board then the same would apply to each fuse board, can't see how you corrected it for me.
See what you are getting at now Murdoch, ignore my post above

Inside a CU the main switch is first, then (if present) DP RCDs protecting a block of circuits, then MCBs or RCBOs protecting individual circuits or distribution circuits out of the CU.
If there are multiple boards fed directly from the same supply then there should be a main switch that isolates the installation as a whole between the supply and the boards, though each board should have its own main switch as well.
If the supply is remote from the board (generally >3m) then a circuit protective device should be installed less than 3m from the supply head.

Supply and Isolators main switches.jpg

Gary
Hi you don't tell us what you are in your profile, by that I mean: Electrician, Domestic Installer, Apprentice, Trainee or DIYer in order to tailor replies we need to know at what level you are.
It's difficult to respond to a O.P. in the way of terminology if people don't fill it in.

Reply to Consumer unit: which comes first? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Can a domestic consumer unit feed another consumer unit, via the Main Switch. Details are: domestic property with 100A single phase supply...
Replies
Views
Can you feed a consumer unit from another consumer unit, It would be supplied by a non RDC protected MCB. Is this allowed as I have always seen...
Replies
Views
I wondered if it is OK to have 2 x Main Switches in the same consumer unit. One feeding the RCBOs in the House and one feeding the CU in a garage...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, When checking my consumer unit voltages with the full board off, I stumbled across something head scratching. Measuring the feed...
Replies
Views
Hi All I'm new here. I have just finished my NVQ and waiting to do my AM2. I have a question on selectivity as it has always slightly confused me...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock