Discuss Contactor not closing in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We have a contactor that controls backs of lights. The local switches are not working. If you kill the breaker and reinstate the contactor operates and lights come on. Once they time out the local switch should work. Is this the contactor not operating or faulty switches ?

Are you saying the lighting is contactor controlled and after a set period the contactor goes off. They can then be put back on by the local switches which control the contactor.

Are you saying the lighting is contactor controlled and after a set period the contactor goes off. They can then be put back on by the local switches which control the contactor.
I think there maybe a timer involved somewhere

Exactly sorry for a bad description,
The contactor brings on banks of lights when you use 1 of 3 switches but the switches are not bringing on all lights. I turned off the breaker to the contactor and back on then all lights come on. Switches still only bring on a few lights, rather than all as it should. After a set time the contactor resets to kill the lights.This is where the timee comes in. It's getting all lights on that's the problem.

So do the three switches normally bring on all lights regardless of which one you use or do the switches each put on some of the lights, for example each one does a third of the lights.

Well all I know is you should press the switch and the lights work. After a period they time out and go off.
There is a ligthing Box next to the dist board which has a contactor in it and tons of connections on din rails. One switch is working just a few lights, reset the breaker the contactor pulls in and all lights come on. Of course the switches should control the lights, contactor turns them off. Unless I'm missing a fuse somewhere or something else that makes the contactor pull in when you press the switch.

Well all I know is you should press the switch and the lights work. After a period they time out and go off.
There is a ligthing Box next to the dist board which has a contactor in it and tons of connections on din rails. One switch is working just a few lights, reset the breaker the contactor pulls in and all lights come on. Of course the switches should control the lights, contactor turns them off. Unless I'm missing a fuse somewhere or something else that makes the contactor pull in when you press the switch.
I have to ask, are you an Electrician?

Think I have it, you have three two gang switches which I assume are of the momentary type. At each two gang switch one activates partial lighting which functions. The other switch at each point which activates all the lighting do not function, none of them. The enclosure by the DB must contain more than one contactor.

Think I have it, you have three two gang switches which I assume are of the momentary type. At each two gang switch one activates partial lighting which functions. The other switch at each point which activates all the lighting do not function, none of them. The enclosure by the DB must contain more than one contactor.

Fantastic yeah there are 2 contactors, so can this be easily rectified?

Fantastic yeah there are 2 contactors, so can this be easily rectified?
Two things, if you are not an electrician then maybe it is best left to a qualified person who can safely undertake the works.
It sounds like, without knowing how it is wired to be a loss of power to the switches because you say it functions when you turn the circuit on and off. It is probably a straight forward find for an electrician.

I am an electrician but was mainly install, house bashing not much fault finding on industrial side, just wiring and containment, 1st fix, 2nd fix. So I'm new to fault finding. I can safely isolate and check the feed at the switches. Not had much to do with contactors or relays etc. This is why I'm asking. Since there is power at the switches maybe one contactor is faulty?

Reply to Contactor not closing in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net